Pontoon Tools 3.0

Michal Stanke

Nov 12, 2017, 10:37:54 AM11/12/17
to dev-l10n
Hello lions.

Pontoon Tools 3.0 are out and published on AMO! This time I do not want
nor need to spam this mailing list what's new in there. You can find our
in this short post
<https://michal.stanke.cz/2017/11/12/pontoon-tools-3-0.html> plus the
add-on will tell you itself. ;)

Enjoy the rest of Sunday and #firefox57 release next week.
--
Michal

Matjaz Horvat

Nov 18, 2017, 4:11:03 AM11/18/17
to Michal Stanke, dev-l10n
Good work, Michal!

I overlooked that browser notifications are *disabled* by default. For
other people who want to receive system level notifications (even when
your browser is closed) - you can enable them in the Add-On settings.

I find browser notifications very helpful and not too intrusive (for
now). Have you considered enabling them by default?

-Matjaž

Kim Ludvigsen

Nov 18, 2017, 4:41:21 AM11/18/17
Den 18-11-2017 kl. 16:10 skrev Matjaz Horvat:

> I find browser notifications very helpful and not too intrusive (for
> now). Have you considered enabling them by default?

Please, do not consider that. It would be more usefull with a setting to
turn off a website's request for allowing notifications.

Sorry for poluting the list but allowing push notifications by default
would be a very bad decision.

--
Kind regards
Kim Ludvigsen

Michal Stanke

Nov 19, 2017, 8:23:42 AM11/19/17
to Matjaz Horvat, dev-l10n
Hi Matjaž.

To be honest, from the very first moment I intended to make the
notifications as opt-in feature. Not because I would find that intrusive
for myself (I usually translate everything asap after it appears), but
Pontoon Tools may be useful by other functions than notifications for
people translating fitfully when they have time.

What I agree is that the visibility of features is not great. I have
tried to improve it by adding the post-installation/update tour alike
Activity Stream, but I haven't included any analytics so I have no clue
how well that works. Do you think it might be helpful to have predefined
set of settings for start? Something like team manager (everything on),
team member (notifications off, team overview off), not Pontoon user
(i.e. for SUMO l10ns, toolbar button and notifications off, page action
and context menu items on)...

Michal

Matjaz Horvat

Nov 20, 2017, 5:19:50 AM11/20/17
to Michal Stanke, dev-l10n
Michal,

I assume the biggest value of Pontoon Tools ATM is notifications (not
that I have any data to support that), so adding use case presets
almost smells like overengineering.

Truth being told, most people spend most of their computer time in a
browser and the red label on Pontoon icon should be obvious enough.

-Matjaž

Michal Stanke

Nov 20, 2017, 5:25:50 AM11/20/17
to Matjaz Horvat, dev-l10n
You are right, but I never meant to stop there. That's also the reason
why I have named the add-on Tools. Sad is I haven't included any visible
killer feature for day to day localizers use so far. The in-Firefox
localization hasn't reached the prototype phase yet because the lack of
free time to work on it.

Michal

Matjaz Horvat

Nov 20, 2017, 5:39:59 AM11/20/17
to Michal Stanke, dev-l10n
All of this sounds very exciting. Looking forward to it!

-Matjaž