Any font issues in your locale?

Kohei Yoshino

Apr 8, 2014, 6:44:19 PM4/8/14
to dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey folks,

I'm working on resolving locale-specific font issues on www.mozilla.org and eventually other Mozilla sites.

As you might know, Mozilla sites have chosen Open Sans as the default font. While it's great in general, Open Sans lacks the most of non-Latin glyphs like Chinese and even some minor Latin characters. In that case browsers use another font on the user's computer as a fallback, but sometimes it doesn't look good. There might be a better preloaded font especially on Mac, or we could create and serve a new Web font subset to complement Open Sans.

So I have filed https://bugzil.la/973396 to make it easier for localizers to specify their locale-specific CSS and fonts. All font issues including some locale-specific CSS proposals can be found at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=937413

If you have encountered any other font-related issues on your localized page, please file a new bug at http://bit.ly/file-font-issues or just reply to this email.

Thanks!
-Kohei