Localization request for Upper Sorbian (hsb)

Julijan Nyča

Sep 3, 2013, 10:16:58 AM9/3/13
Hello,

we - that is a group of Upper Sorbian speakers - would like to start the localization in Upper Sorbian language. Some facts on the language:

* Upper Sorbian (the code is hsb) is spoken in the federal state of Saxony, Germany.
* It is officially recognized as a minority language in Saxony and has about 30.000 speakers in the region.
* It is a West Slavic language and as such related to Czech and Polish.
* There are Sorbian schools, dictionaries, an Upper Sorbian Wikipedia version and the Sorbian institute, which cares about the development of the language. Apart from that, we have newspapers, radio broadcasts and television programs in Upper Sorbian language.

Please tell me how to start, because we're eager to translate and use the Mozilla products in our own language.

Regards/Postrow,

J. Nyča

Jeff Beatty

Sep 4, 2013, 3:21:09 PM9/4/13
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, budi...@googlemail.com
Hi Julijan,

Glad to hear that you and a group of localizers are eager to localize
Firefox in your language. Allow me to guide you on your first steps:

1) Read through these resources:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Localization_Quick_Start_Guide
https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Localization_Process

The first is a technical tutorial on what's involved to localize, test,
and produce both language packs and official Firefox localizations. The
second is the process as a whole regarding how to produce an official
localization. It discusses the requirements to be approved for shipping,
the mechanisms whereby we store and ship code, and the peripherals
surrounding being an official localization (e.g., community building,
localizing web parts, localizing marketing materials, etc.).

2) Plan out your l10n workflow. To do this, you should ask yourselves
the following questions:
a) Do we want to work online or offline?
b) What online tool from
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Localization/Quick_start_guide/Translation_phase
will we use? Or what offline tool will we use?
c) Do we want a tool that uses translation memory? Will our selected
tool utilize translation memory?
c) How will we organize and assign the work? By directory or file?
d) How will we keep track of terminology to ensure that it's used
consistently throughout the localization?

3) After reading up and planning out your workflow, and if becoming an
official localization is your goal, set a goal for when you'd like to
see that happen. Currently, Firefox 25 is being localized. Do you want
to launch your localization with Firefox 28 or later? Be sure to
communicate this goal very clearly so that we can mentor and help you
achieve your goals.

Best of luck and please let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Jeff

El 9/3/13 8:16 a.m., Julijan Nyča escribió:

*Jeff Beatty*
L10n Program Manager
@mozilla_l10n <http://twitter.com/mozilla_l10n>
801.367.3763

Michael Wolf

Sep 4, 2013, 4:13:56 PM9/4/13
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Julijan Nyča schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> we - that is a group of Upper Sorbian speakers - would like to start the localization in Upper Sorbian language. Some facts on the language:
>
> * Upper Sorbian (the code is hsb) is spoken in the federal state of Saxony, Germany.
> * It is officially recognized as a minority language in Saxony and has about 30.000 speakers in the region.
> * It is a West Slavic language and as such related to Czech and Polish.
> * There are Sorbian schools, dictionaries, an Upper Sorbian Wikipedia version and the Sorbian institute, which cares about the development of the language. Apart from that, we have newspapers, radio broadcasts and television programs in Upper Sorbian language.

Hello Julian,

strange, you know that's there is a already an Upper Sorbian (an even
Lower Sorbian) Firefox, though an unofficial one.

Postrowy,

Michael