Starting localization to interlingua (ia) language

Carmelo Serraino

Jul 5, 2016, 4:54:31 AM7/5/16
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone,

I am Carmelo Serraino, from ITALY(EUROPE). I am an traducer in interlingua of software: OmegaT, Linux Mint, Midoro, Gedit...), Wikipedie e wikidata. I want to start a community for localization of Mozilla products in interlingua. Since I am a first from this activity, can anyone help me to get started?

Thanks in advance.
Melo (Carmelo Serraino).

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Jul 13, 2016, 1:08:04 AM7/13/16
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org, Carmelo Serraino
Hi Carmelo,
Sorry it took so much time to reply, I didn't realize I lost access to
this mailing list.

Going back to your request. First of all thanks for your offer to
localize Mozilla products in a new unsupported language.

Normally we set up new locales on Pootle
(https://mozilla.locamotion.org/) and we start thinking about setting up
all the remaining infrastructure after they have reached a good level of
completion and testing. That also let us verify if the translation
effort is sustained consistently over time.
In the future it will be possible to use Pontoon as well
(https://pontoon.mozilla.org/), but it's not an available option right now.

There are a few questions that I'd like to ask you:
* Are you working alone on the localization or is there a group of people?

* According to Wikipedia there are very few active speakers. Do you have
expectations on the audience that could be reached with your
localization? This question is strictly tied to the next one.

* There are a few projects to work on: Firefox, Firefox for Android,
mozilla.org, Firefox for iOS.
I don't think iOS is an option, since we need support from the
underlying OS and it's still quite limited in terms of number of locales.
Firefox is the most popular but also the largest to localize.
Firefox for Android is usually a good entry point for new locales. We
have a language switcher inside the app that lets you select the
language independently from the one used in Android, and also have
builds with single locale for testing.
For both Android and desktop we ask to localize some key pages on
mozilla.org (home, download, landing page for the product, etc.).

For example, if you expect most of the users to work on mobile devices,
it might make more sense to focus on Android than Desktop, in order to
optimize both your time and results.

Francesco

> --
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Michael Wolf

Jul 13, 2016, 5:43:16 AM7/13/16
Francesco Lodolo [:flod] schrieb:
> Hi Carmelo,
> Sorry it took so much time to reply, I didn't realize I lost access to
> this mailing list.
>
> Going back to your request. First of all thanks for your offer to
> localize Mozilla products in a new unsupported language.
>
> Normally we set up new locales on Pootle
> (https://mozilla.locamotion.org/) and we start thinking about setting up
> all the remaining infrastructure after they have reached a good level of
> completion and testing. That also let us verify if the translation
> effort is sustained consistently over time.
> In the future it will be possible to use Pontoon as well
> (https://pontoon.mozilla.org/), but it's not an available option right now.

Hi Francesco,

I sent Carmelo a text file where I describe which ways he can go to
localize Mozilla products in Interlingua. I told him that he can
translate online using Pootle or Pontoon (BTW there are already some
languages that use Pontoon for Firefox Aurora) or translate offline.

You will find my text file attached to this email.

Michael

mdevl10n_new_locales_interlingua.txt

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Jul 13, 2016, 6:41:30 AM7/13/16
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org
Il 13/07/16 11.42, Michael Wolf ha scritto:
> I sent Carmelo a text file where I describe which ways he can go to
> localize Mozilla products in Interlingua. I told him that he can
> translate online using Pootle or Pontoon (BTW there are already some
> languages that use Pontoon for Firefox Aurora) or translate offline.
Hi Michael,
Thanks for replying!

You can't use Pontoon, because at the moment Pontoon needs a Mercurial
repository (it will be fixed).

One correction to your message
> Every month nine alpha versions (so-called nightlies) will be released
> - the current nightly is 49.0a2. Usually there are no changes in the
> number or text of the strings to be translated in Aurora. You can
> download the current Aurora build and test your language pack. The
> language pack is built by the l10n drivers - so you don't care about
> it. Simply download both the Firefox Aurora build (currently 49.0a2)
> and the related language pack.
Aurora is built every day, there is no fixed number of releases. Also,
if your locale is fully supported and enabled, you can download the
localized build, no need to install language packs.

From: https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/channel/#developer (if you
localized the page) or
http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-aurora-l10n/
(bottom of the page to find the latest version).

If your locale works on Pootle only, you need en-US + language pack
built by Pootle.

Francesco

rodmg...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2017, 3:46:03 AM8/28/17
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Everyone,

I am Rodrigo Guerra from Brazil, and so as Carmelo, I am fluent in Interlingua and, as most Interlingua speakers use Firefox, I would like to collaborate with having Firefox in that language. I have just created a Firefox account and logged in to Poonton, but it seems that Interlingua is not among the available languages yet. Would it be hard for you to add it? I am ready to collaborate.

Thanks,
Rodrigo Guerra

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Aug 28, 2017, 3:56:57 AM8/28/17
Il 28/08/17 01.51, rodmg...@gmail.com ha scritto:
> Hi Everyone,
> I am Rodrigo Guerra from Brazil, and so as Carmelo, I am fluent in Interlingua and, as most Interlingua speakers use Firefox, I would like to collaborate with having Firefox in that language. I have just created a Firefox account and logged in to Poonton, but it seems that Interlingua is not among the available languages yet. Would it be hard for you to add it? I am ready to collaborate.
Hi Rodrigo,
Can you try to reach out to Carmelo (assuming you didn't already) and
see if you can organize a community effort around this translation.

I've checked and Interlingua wasn't available on Pootle, so you'd be
starting from scratch, and Firefox is a pretty big project.

We've just finished moving all our active locales to Pontoon, and trying
to improve the sync process. Once that's done, we should we able to add
Interlingua, but I'd prefer to make sure there's a group of people
willing to contribute before doing it.

Francesco

Carmelo Serraino

Aug 29, 2017, 12:00:36 PM8/29/17
Il giorno lunedì 28 agosto 2017 09:56:57 UTC+2, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] ha scritto:
> Il 28/08/17 01.51, rodmguerr ha scritto:
Salute a omnes io es presente e disponibile.
Que facer?
Es il possibile traducer per Launchpad?
Io jam traduceva le 9% del entratas de Ubuntu per le uso combinate de Launchpad e OmegaT.
Io desira etiam memorar que il esseva interessate a iste projecto etiam Johannes e Carlos Soreto le autor del corrector orthographic pro Firefox.

rodmg...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2017, 3:22:41 AM9/1/17
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Francesco,

So we will be waiting for the end of the syncing process. I am in touch with Carmelo and many othe interlingua speakers. I am sure we can form a strong translation team for starting this job in Poonton.

Rodrigo

rodmg...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2017, 3:22:41 AM9/1/17
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Francesco,

I know Carmelo and yes, I have already talked to him about this project. We also have an active Interlingua and I'm sure that many of them would problably like to participate in this project. I am in contact with possible collaborators in our Telegram group.

Carmelo is already familiarized with Launchpad, but I think Poonton is also very user friendly and we will have no trouble with using it. I and Carmelo can organize a translation group. What do you need from us so that you can add the Interlingua translation project to Poonton?

rodmg...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2017, 3:22:42 AM9/1/17
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Francesco,

I know Carmelo and I am in touch with him. I know many other interlingua speakers that probably would like to participate too, some of them are members of the "Union Mundial pro Interlingua" (www.interlingua.com). I am sure we can form a strong translation team, I can coordinate it, or Carmelo, if he prefers. I have just saw your response and I am already asking for collaborators in our Telegram group. When do you expect you can finish your pending tasks and add Interlingua to Pontoon?

Best regards
Rodrigo

Att.
Rodrigo

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Sep 1, 2017, 3:28:20 AM9/1/17
Il 30/08/17 07.43, rodmg...@gmail.com ha scritto:
> Em segunda-feira, 28 de agosto de 2017 04:56:57 UTC-3, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] escreveu:
> Hi Francesco,
>
> I know Carmelo and I am in touch with him. I know many other interlingua speakers that probably would like to participate too, some of them are members of the "Union Mundial pro Interlingua" (www.interlingua.com). I am sure we can form a strong translation team, I can coordinate it, or Carmelo, if he prefers. I have just saw your response and I am already asking for collaborators in our Telegram group. When do you expect you can finish your pending tasks and add Interlingua to Pontoon?
Thanks, I'll follow up shortly via email directly to you and Carmelo.

Francesco