Resurrecting a locale: ilo

Joseph Maza

Apr 21, 2018, 4:17:32 AM4/21/18
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
Many years ago I had an locale extension pack for ilo(-PH) "Iloko (Philippines)" that was almost for the most part complete. All the localization was done in Narro. But, it looks like that tool has been deprecated and Pontoon is now the tool of choice.

I'd like to get back into the swing of things and it looks like I might have some more support since Iloko is now one of the official languages of the province of La Union.

What's needed to resurrect Iloko for Firefox?

Thank you for your time.

-- Joe Maza

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Apr 21, 2018, 6:52:49 AM4/21/18
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Joseph,
Are you sure it was Narro, and not Pootle
(http://mozilla.locamotion.org)? Narro has been deprecated a very long
time ago (officially shut down in 2014), and I don't think there were a
lot of locales on it at the time. It also looks like Iloko was enabled
on Pootle at some point.

The first thing to figure out is if there's content to start from, or if
you need to start from scratch. That would make quite a difference,
depending on how long ago you translated Firefox.

Here are a few more questions and notes on the process.

Firefox desktop is a rather large project which can potentially take a
long time for a full localization to ship. We might be able to have
Nightly builds in a few months, but shipping in Beta and Release will
require much longer. It's important that you're aware of it, to set
expectations.

1) How many plural forms are in the Iloko language? To give you an
example, how would you translate the following sentences

   - *0 rocks*
   - *1 rock*
   - *2 rocks*
   - *3 rocks*
   - *4 rocks *
   - *5 rocks*
   - *10 rocks*
   - *20 rocks*
   - *100 rocks*
   - *1000 rocks*

Does a sentence need to change if it refers to plural vs singular, even
if the noun remains unchanged? For example: "There is a rock. Do you
want to move it?" vs "There are 10 rocks. Do you want to move them?"

2) Are you hoping to localize alone or do you have friends that will
join you? For sustainability of the localization (because we're always
releasing
new versions of Firefox products that will need localizing), we'd prefer
to only ship new locales that have more than one person sustaining them.

Francesco

Axel Hecht

Apr 22, 2018, 6:34:48 AM4/22/18
to mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org, ry...@synca.io
There's data in
https://github.com/translate/mozilla-l10n/tree/master/ilo, which should
also be in the database.

This might be a good first use-case for using the pootle data?

Axel

Francesco Lodolo

Apr 22, 2018, 8:17:55 AM4/22/18
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, ry...@synca.io, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
We have used the data from Pootle several times at this point, to
initialize the hg repository. Or are you talking about taking the data
with attribution into Pontoon?

Note that it needs heavy clean up, since Pootle was committing files
with only comments.

Francesco

> There's data in https://github.com/translate/mozilla-l10n/tree/master/ilo,
> which should also be in the database.
>
> This might be a good first use-case for using the pootle data?
>
> Axel

Francesco Lodolo

Apr 22, 2018, 8:17:55 AM4/22/18
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, ry...@synca.io, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org
We have used the data from Pootle several times at this point, to
initialize the hg repository. Or are you talking about taking the data
with attribution into Pontoon?

Note that it needs heavy clean up, since Pootle was committing files
with only comments.

Francesco

> There's data in https://github.com/translate/mozilla-l10n/tree/master/ilo,
> which should also be in the database.
>
> This might be a good first use-case for using the pootle data?
>
> Axel

Axel Hecht

Apr 23, 2018, 4:28:49 AM4/23/18
to Francesco Lodolo, ry...@synca.io
Am 22.04.18 um 14:17 schrieb Francesco Lodolo:
> We have used the data from Pootle several times at this point, to
> initialize the hg repository. Or are you talking about taking the data
> with attribution into Pontoon?

My idea was to use the data to create an hg repo with attribution, and
then set up pontoon on top of that.

> Note that it needs heavy clean up, since Pootle was committing files
> with only comments.

I guess you'd be doing that once we have the repo via your scripts?

Axel

Joseph Maza

Apr 24, 2018, 11:30:59 AM4/24/18
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, ry...@synca.io, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org, Francesco Lodolo
Sorry for the delayed response. This thread was caught by a filter.

When it comes to pluralization, Iloko doesn't do anything morpho-syntactic
with numbers and NP's. So, 1 nga aso "one dog", 2 nga aso "two dogs", etc.

I have a few people who are willing to to assist and coordinate with me on
this project.

Whatever you can salvage should be fine. But, if it has to be from scratch
that's fine, too. Years have past, yet it shouldn't be a problem since
there are more resources available to help in localization. For example,
there are some translation memories that my group and I can leverage to
make localization quicker.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018, 1:28 AM Axel Hecht <l1...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Am 22.04.18 um 14:17 schrieb Francesco Lodolo:
> > We have used the data from Pootle several times at this point, to
> > initialize the hg repository. Or are you talking about taking the data
> > with attribution into Pontoon?
>
> My idea was to use the data to create an hg repo with attribution, and
> then set up pontoon on top of that.
>

> > Note that it needs heavy clean up, since Pootle was committing files
> > with only comments.
>
> I guess you'd be doing that once we have the repo via your scripts?
>
> Axel

Joseph Maza

Apr 24, 2018, 11:31:01 AM4/24/18
to dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, ry...@synca.io, mozilla-dev-l1...@lists.mozilla.org, Francesco Lodolo
Sorry for the delayed response. This thread was caught by a filter.

When it comes to pluralization, Iloko doesn't do anything morpho-syntactic
with numbers and NP's. So, 1 nga aso "one dog", 2 nga aso "two dogs", etc.

I have a few people who are willing to to assist and coordinate with me on
this project.

Whatever you can salvage should be fine. But, if it has to be from scratch
that's fine, too. Years have past, yet it shouldn't be a problem since
there are more resources available to help in localization. For example,
there are some translation memories that my group and I can leverage to
make localization quicker.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018, 1:28 AM Axel Hecht <l1...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Am 22.04.18 um 14:17 schrieb Francesco Lodolo:
> > We have used the data from Pootle several times at this point, to
> > initialize the hg repository. Or are you talking about taking the data
> > with attribution into Pontoon?
>
> My idea was to use the data to create an hg repo with attribution, and
> then set up pontoon on top of that.
>

> > Note that it needs heavy clean up, since Pootle was committing files
> > with only comments.
>
> I guess you'd be doing that once we have the repo via your scripts?
>
> Axel

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Apr 24, 2018, 11:33:20 AM4/24/18
to Joseph Maza, dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, ry...@synca.io
Hi Joseph,
I need to chat with Axel on the best way to move forward. I'll get in
touch in a new email thread as soon as I have something for you.

In the meantime, it would be great to start creating an account of
Pontoon, if you haven't already.

Francesco
> Sorry for the delayed response. This thread was caught by a filter.
>
> When it comes to pluralization, Iloko doesn't do anything
> morpho-syntactic with numbers and NP's. So, 1 nga aso "one dog", 2 nga
> aso "two dogs", etc.
>
> I have a few people who are willing to to assist and coordinate with
> me on this project.
>
> Whatever you can salvage should be fine. But, if it has to be from
> scratch that's fine, too. Years have past, yet it shouldn't be a
> problem since there are more resources available to help in
> localization. For example, there are some translation memories that my
> group and I can leverage to make localization quicker.
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018, 1:28 AM Axel Hecht <l1...@mozilla.com
> <mailto:l1...@mozilla.com>> wrote:
>
> Am 22.04.18 um 14:17 schrieb Francesco Lodolo:
> > We have used the data from Pootle several times at this point, to
> > initialize the hg repository. Or are you talking about taking
> the data
> > with attribution into Pontoon?
>
> My idea was to use the data to create an hg repo with attribution,
> and
> then set up pontoon on top of that.
>

> > Note that it needs heavy clean up, since Pootle was committing files
> > with only comments.
>
> I guess you'd be doing that once we have the repo via your scripts?
>
> Axel
>

> > Francesco

> <mailto:l1...@mozilla.com>>:
> <mailto:dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org>

Joseph Maza

Apr 24, 2018, 11:35:05 AM4/24/18
to Francesco Lodolo [:flod], dev-l10n-n...@lists.mozilla.org, ry...@synca.io
Sounds good, thanks!

I already have an account on Pontoon.

Let me know how things will proceed forward.

Thanks,
-- Joe