JS-Montreal and Montreal.rb talk report

Francois Marier

Oct 16, 2013, 9:31:41 PM10/16/13
After the Summit, I spent some time around Montréal and took advantage
of that to give talks [1] in front of about 70 web developers at two
local user groups (JS-Montréal [2] and Montréal.rb [3]).

Given that both JavaScript and Ruby have verification libraries [4]
(thanks Andy!), I was able to avoid mentioning the remote verifier in my
talk, which also reduced the amount of code on the backend slides in a
big way :)

People had a lot of questions but the most interesting one was whether
or not we had thought about adding Persona support to Unity 3D, the game
engine that's used by a lot of mobile games as well as most indie games.
Logging into a game is fairly common nowadays and many games use social
login for that.

# Audience questions

- How can my organisation become an IdP if our accounts are managed by
Google Apps?

- Is Persona compatible with progressive engagement or are users forced
to confirm their email before they get an account on my site?

- Are there any non-Mozilla browsers with native support for Persona?

- Do you provide native SDKs for iOS and Android?

- Can I use Persona in non-browser apps?

- Is Persona a standard?

- Have any large email providers signed up to be Persona IdPs?

- Is there a way to brand the emails sent out by Persona?

- How will the branding "scale" if other big providers (like Google) get
on board?

- How do you prevent the identity provider from impersonating you? How
is this an improvement over OpenID?

- Why didn't you do it in a fully peer-to-peer way (like ssh) instead of
relying on identity providers? Why not use a certificate that's synced
between devices?

- What if your email provider goes away? How can you continue to log
into sites?

- Does the assertion expiry requires user clocks to be synchronized?

- Do the plugins exist for all browsers?

- Is it really responsible to recommend that people add yet another
plugin to Devise instead of just ripping it out?

- What if I don't remember the email I used last on a site?

- What happens during logout? Why does Persona need to know about it?

- Are other industry players planning to add native Persona support or
are they blocking that technology?

- Is there anything that needs to be synced between browsers?

- What if there was a way to login using a fingerprint? Is that
something that could be done with Persona?

- If I have to support IE6 and IE7 users, then I can't use Persona for
these users and have to store passwords for them?

Francois

[1] slides at
https://speakerdeck.com/fmarier/easy-logins-for-javascript-web-applications
and https://speakerdeck.com/fmarier/easy-logins-for-ruby-web-applications