[devtools-rfcs] Land a new devtools-components bundle in mozilla-central

Nicolas Chevobbe

Dec 21, 2017, 1:30:08 PM12/21/17
to dev-devel...@lists.mozilla.org
A new proposal has been posted on https://github.com/devtools-html/rfcs

subject: New devtools-components bundle
link: https://github.com/devtools-html/rfcs/issues/31

<https://github.com/devtools-html/rfcs/issues/27>
> The motives behind that for now is to be able to use the Tree component
we have there. More specifically, @gabrielluong would like to use it for
the markup view (the other Tree components in mozilla-central are not a
good fit for this purpose).

> In the future, we want to move the StackTrace and the Frame components to
devtools-components so we can use them in devtools-reps - in the Error Rep
- to have proper sourcemapped error.
> This would also allow us to get contributions from library authors/users
in order to have icons and dedicated logic (e.g. collapsing frames), like
the Debugger successfully did.
> Those would then be republished to mozilla-central as a bundle, and will
be used anywhere we have a Stacktrace: Console, Netmonitor, and even in the
Debugger Callstack panel as well.
> The original components in m-c would be deleted.
>
> This raises some concerns because the Tree component is already imported
in devtools-reps AND debugger. Doing another bundle for devtools-components
would mean we have the source code for this component 3 times.

<https://github.com/devtools-html/rfcs/issues/27>
Comment on the GitHub issue if you want to join the conversation!
<https://github.com/devtools-html/rfcs/issues/31>