New color for my bikeshed (about:inspect)

Jan Keromnes

Aug 28, 2015, 5:49:41 PM8/28/15
to dev-devel...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all,

I recently talked about a new project I'm working on. I called my prototype
page "about:inspect", because Chromium has a similar thing called
"chrome://inspect", but maybe there is a better name?

I'd love your help bikeshedding this name. If you're interested, please
head over to https://etherpad.mozilla.org/about-inspect (the pad contains
more details about that project).

Thanks!
Jan

Jan Keromnes

Aug 31, 2015, 8:58:51 AM8/31/15
to dev-devel...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey all, the results are in!

about:debug (4)
about:devtools (3)
about:debugging (1)
about:inception (1)
about:inspect (1)
about:runtimes (1)
about:targets (1)
about:personadream (-998)

Thank you all for the great feedback and the interesting suggestions! I
really liked "about:devtools" because the page is like a home for many
devtools things, and "about:targets" which makes a lot of sense (if you're
a devtools contributor at least).

In the end I decided to go with "about:debug", for a combination of reasons
(and yes, my poll was biased towards it). Most of the buttons in the page
will read "Debug", because fundamentally its goal to let you debug things,
including remote devices and browser internals (browser toolbox and chrome
frames). Additionally, "about:debug" is a sweet, short and sensible name
that's still available, so I jumped. Maybe "about:devtools" could be a
shorthand for the toolbox itself?

Cheers,
Jan

Panos Astithas

Aug 31, 2015, 9:23:08 AM8/31/15
to Jan Keromnes, dev-developer-tools
As the sole voter for about:debugging I wanted to clarify my reasoning for
not choosing about:debug, which was my #3 (about:devtools was my #2, if you
wanted to know).

If you take a look at about:about, you will see that there is a pattern of
making the URL sound like something that could be uttered, like "I want to
learn about Mozilla (about:mozilla)" or "I want to find out more about
networking (about:networking)". That symmetry is maintained by
about:debugging ("what is the page where I can find more about
debugging?"), but not by about:debug.

I don't know if platform folks use this particular rule when deciding what
is an acceptable about: URL, but it might be useful to keep in mind when
you get around to ask for a review.

Cheers,
Panos

Victor Porof

Aug 31, 2015, 9:39:05 AM8/31/15
to Panos Astithas, Jan Keromnes, dev-developer-tools
This convinces me, at least. Considering grammar and consistency, I’ll now change my vote to about:debugging <about:debugging> instead of about:debug <about:debug>.

I believe about:devtools <about:devtools> was a late addition, not available when I voted in the poll. I like that name too and it’s consistent with about:mozilla <about:mozilla>.

Victor

Jeff Griffiths

Aug 31, 2015, 3:04:06 PM8/31/15
to Victor Porof, Jan Keromnes, dev-developer-tools
Given the choice between about:debug and about:debugging, I'm more in
favour of about:debugging as well, for the reasons Panos outlined.

Brian Grinstead

Aug 31, 2015, 4:48:54 PM8/31/15
to Victor Porof, Jan Keromnes, dev-developer-tools

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 6:38 AM, Victor Porof <vpo...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> This convinces me, at least. Considering grammar and consistency, I’ll now change my vote to about:debugging <about:debugging> instead of about:debug <about:debug>.
>
> I believe about:devtools <about:devtools> was a late addition, not available when I voted in the poll. I like that name too and it’s consistent with about:mozilla <about:mozilla>.

I added about:devtools to the document as a late addition. My idea was that eventually we could make the page a devtools-dashboard of sorts that lets you launch toolboxes, view protocol connections, toggle experimental features, configure editor integrations / Valence connections, links to user and contributor documentation, and other dashboard kind of things (total memory usage by devtools, debugging information for bug reports, etc). Sort of adding onto the about:inspect idea by grabbing bits of functionality that are currently in WebIDE or the toolbox options panel that might make sense to be surfaced more centrally. Just an idea… I’m good with about:debugging also. There’s no reason we couldn’t add a new about:devtools page later on with the sort of stuff I mention above (although I do think the about:devtools name would work for this about:inspect page in the mean time).

Brian

stripTM

Aug 31, 2015, 6:02:32 PM8/31/15
to Brian Grinstead, Victor Porof, Jan Keromnes, dev-developer-tools
+1 about:devtools
It summarizes very well that going to find there

--
-=stripTM=-
http://mozilla-hispano.org

Brian Grinstead

Aug 31, 2015, 6:23:04 PM8/31/15
to stripTM, Victor Porof, Jan Keromnes, dev-developer-tools
To be clear, the ideas for the ‘dashboard’ are completely in my head, while the progress that Jan is making on the about:inspect page is very real. So I don’t want to hold up anything with my pipe dreams. We could always go with about:debugging for now and then if/when we built a dashboard at about:devtools we could fold the about:debugging functionality in there and then set up a redirect. Or use about:devtools straight away if people like the name.

Brian