DevTools extensions

Patrick Brosset

Sep 15, 2017, 5:46:23 AM9/15/17
to dev-developer-tools
Hi,

We have just updated the content of the Web Developer's Toolbox collection
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/mozilla/webdeveloper/>
on AMO.
This collection used to contain addons such as Firebug and others that,
now, do not work anymore starting with Firefox 57.

The collection now only contains extensions build with WebExtensions APIs,
and they're all really cool!

We have also created another collection some time ago that only
contains Framework-related
extensions
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/mozilla/framework-devtools/>
(also only 57+ compatible extensions).

Why this is particularly important for DevTools is because in Firefox,
inside the Web Developer menu, the second to last item ("Get More Tools")
links to a collection on AMO.

It used to link to the Web Developer collection. When it became clear it
was outdated, we created the Framework collection and made the item link to
it.
Now that we have updated the Web Developer collection, we'll change the
item to point back to it instead.

*My ask to everyone reading this is the following: if you know of good
DevTools extensions (compatible with 57+) that should be in this list,
please reply here and we'll get them added quickly.*

Also, Firefox now supports more and more WebExtensions APIs, which means
some extensions that only used to work in Chrome now also work in Firefox.
Sometimes, they almost work but a tiny bit of compatibility code needs to
be written. If you know of such extensions, let us know too! Maybe we can
write the missing code together!

You can also drop by our Slack <https://devtools-html-slack.herokuapp.com/>
in the #addons channel to discuss.

Thanks,
Patrick

Daniele Scasciafratte

Sep 15, 2017, 9:04:26 AM9/15/17
to mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
I developed a devtools few days ago but I think that can became very complicated to maintain a collection instead to use the filters on addons.
Actually seems that devtools not get automatically the label for it so is quite impossible to organize them.
In any case I am maintaining a list on my talk: https://mte90.github.io/Talk-DevTools/

Harald Kirschner

Sep 20, 2017, 1:16:05 AM9/20/17
to Yura Zenevich, Patrick Brosset, dev-developer-tools
On that thread Marcy seems totally unaware of addon deprecation (citing the
package.json version); I'll revive older threads that got forwarded and
offer our help.