New web console output turned on in Nightly (for real this time)

Lin Clark

Oct 11, 2016, 9:51:10 AM10/11/16
to dev-developer-tools dev
After a minor hiccup on try last week, the new web console is on by default
in Nightly. This should make console output a little more reliable.

We still have some missing features; more information on that below. Issues
can be filed on Bugzilla
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Firefox&component=Developer%20Tools%3A%20Console>
.

If you prefer to use the old console for now, you can flip the pref:

devtools.webconsole.new-frontend-enabled

A big thanks to all of the contributors, and everyone who posted issues.

A special thanks to console co-maintainer Brian Grinstead (for many things,
but especially for all his work making try and Talos happy so that we could
turn this on) and to contributor Nicolas Chevobbe (who quickly volunteered
for the most challenging issues and implemented many of the features of the
new console).

---

More details...

The web console is using the new code, but the browser console and browser
toolbox will continue to use the old code for now. Once we have fixed the
existing issues in the web console and implemented the browser console
specific features, we will turn that on as well.

Features coming soon:

- Improve performance of bulk logging (e.g. for loops where you
console.log() on each iteration) and filtering
- Support custom CSS with %c
- Improve text search (currently search does not include complex values
like the properties of objects)
- Re-enable the context menu
- Display the learn more link on errors
- Better display of DOM nodes and support for highlighting them

Bugs can be filed on Bugzilla