Re: Project Houdini

Paul Rouget

Feb 18, 2015, 10:20:30 AM2/18/15
to Patrick Brosset, dev-developer-tools
Is Mozilla involved in any way?
Also, that looks cool: https://wiki.css-houdini.org/explaining-css-layout

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Patrick Brosset <pbro...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> While reading through some w3c css mailing lists this morning [1], I
> stumbled upon something called the extensible taskforce (extf) which goal
> is to make CSS extensible.
>
> It finally got renamed to project Houdini and now has its dedicated wiki
> [2].
>
> The goal of this task force is to project much lower level specs for how
> stylesheets are parsed and how documents are rendered with CSS.
>
> I think this is very exciting for devtools because when some of the new
> APIs will start to become implemented, this will give us many more ways we
> can "explain" CSS to devtools users.
> We will actually be able to show why a box measures this much for example.
>
> The taskforce also intends to work on exposing more of the low level CSS
> parsing logic, which would really be useful to explain what happened when
> unknown properties are dropped, but also help us more easily support styles
> as-authored in the rule-view.
>
> Anyway, the project seems very young (started last december I think), so
> it'll be a while until anything useful to us comes, but it's worth
> following that up if you're interested.
>
> [1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wtf/2014Dec/thread.html
> [2] https://wiki.css-houdini.org/main
>
> --
> Patrick Brosset

Paul

J. Ryan Stinnett

Feb 18, 2015, 10:50:55 AM2/18/15
to Paul Rouget, dev-developer-tools, Patrick Brosset
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Paul Rouget <pa...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Is Mozilla involved in any way?

Seems like it[1].

[1]: https://wiki.css-houdini.org/planning/sydney-2015

James Long

Feb 20, 2015, 10:35:02 AM2/20/15
to J. Ryan Stinnett, Patrick Brosset, dev-developer-tools, Paul Rouget
There's some pretty interesting discussion going on right now on dev-servo
and dev-platform as a result of the Sydney meeting:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.servo/m4g6fnmYOoI

Also some links here to transcripts of the meetings:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.servo/j-6fjHaZU7A

Patrick Brosset

Mar 12, 2015, 4:22:26 AM3/12/15
to James Long, J. Ryan Stinnett, dev-developer-tools, Paul Rouget
One of the topics tackled by the Houdini project is exposing a CSS parser.
This is interesting to devtools because parsing CSS is a lot of what we do
in the Inspector.
It looks like the meeting notes from the Sydney meeting are available now:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-houdini/2015Mar/0008.html
Also, here's the repo for the spec drafts if you want to follow along:
https://github.com/w3c/css-houdini-drafts
And http://dev.w3.org/houdini/
--
Patrick Brosset