Meeting: Managing RDP changes, Friday at 9am Pacific

Lin Clark

Aug 17, 2016, 9:36:07 AM8/17/16
to dev-developer-tools dev
This was discussed in the devtools meeting yesterday. I just added it to
the calendar.

*Summary:*
We're currently re-architecting tool front ends. Those front ends are
interacting with the backend using RDP (Firefox RDP, and in some cases
Chrome RDP as well).

The tools are being developed against the current versions of the RDPs. The
code makes assumptions based on that; for example, which properties are
accessible on an object. However, these RDPs do not follow a tight
versioning process.

We need to figure out how we're going to manage changes to the RDP. This is
especially true as we move towards consuming Chrome RDP, where versioning
is outside our control.

Lin Clark

Aug 17, 2016, 11:56:16 AM8/17/16
to dev-developer-tools dev
By the way, if you're looking for a good way to poke at the Chrome protocol
and see what packets you get, check out the Sniffing the protocol
<https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/debugger-protocol#sniffing-the
protocol> instructions.

Jim Blandy

Aug 17, 2016, 12:08:33 PM8/17/16
to Lin Clark, dev-developer-tools dev
Oooh, awesome!

That link came across as broken in my email, because of an unquoted space;
here's another attempt:
https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/debugger-protocol#sniffing-the%20protocol