Warning about upgrading Mercurial to v.4.4.1 (OSX)

mratc...@mozilla.com

Nov 24, 2017, 4:22:53 AM11/24/17
to mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Yesterday I ran `brew update && brew upgrade` and then my laptop slowed to a crawl... when I say a crawl I mean that pressing enter in my terminal took 2-3 minutes to display a newline. Rebooting didn't appear to help.

After troubleshooting the issue it turned out that Mercurial had been upgraded to v.4.4.1 and this caused it to incompatible with a bunch of my addons (all of them that have a path after the = sign in .hgrc).

The failing addons caused Mercurial to be slow and because it is used by my command prompt and editor the whole world became slow. I am not sure why a reboot didn't fix the issue but I assume Mercurial runs some kind of daemon or something.

The solution is to upgrade all of your addons and remove *.pyc files whenever you think Mercurial might be updated.

I just thought I would get this out there to save anybody else such a frustrating day.