Moving the devtools CodeMirror bundle into a separate repo

Brian Grinstead

Sep 29, 2016, 5:03:56 PM9/29/16
to dev-developer-tools
I mentioned this at our meeting a couple of weeks ago but wanted to add a few more details that came out of a discussion that Gabe, James and I had today. We want to figure out a way to share code between m-c and debugger.html. The idea is that if we were to publish a module on npm, then we could use it directly as an npm dependency in debugger.html, and for m-c we could pull it down into devtools/client/node_modules (not checked into hg) and then copy the relevant files out to wherever they need to be (checked into hg).

The current plan is that we'll try this out with our CodeMirror version (which is basically a bundle with CodeMirror + some plugins + a small localization patch applied). This would be a separate repo on github and published to npm. Doing this will make sure that when debugger.html is running in a local tab it will use the exact same version of CodeMirror as it does when running inside a toolbox. And we’ll start to figure out if this is a good solution for sharing more code in the future (things like Object Inspector and Reps, for example)

If anyone has thoughts on the plan or is interested in helping to implement it, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian