QA and devtools

Alexandre poirot

Jan 19, 2017, 8:14:48 AM1/19/17
to mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Devtoolers,

I recently realized that QA is done differently between work being
covered by Marco and everything else. In Marco's process, QA is a
mandatory step in the development process. For every bug, we
explicitely flag each bug as requiring QA or not. But I don't see why
QA isn't a mandatory step outside of this process.
It looks like today, all random bugfixes, individual projects or
projects not covered by marco's process do not necessarely involve a
QA step.

Until yesterday, I wasn't aware of the qe-verify+ flag. I don't know
if everyone is aware of this one?
But it helps QA know which bugs require some manual testing.

What do you think about making this a general practice in devtools:
For every bug, always set the qe-verify flag.
Set it to qe-verify- if that shouldn't require manual testing, or
qe-verify+ if it does.
Also, if testing is required, it is helpful to comment what and how
to test the current patch.

Then, I imagine there is ways to help QA. We often end up having a
batch of bugs all somewhat related and it may be helpful for QA to
know upfront that a set of bugs are related. But I don't know how to
dispatch this information from bugzilla...

++
Alex

J. Ryan Stinnett

Jan 19, 2017, 6:45:22 PM1/19/17
to Alexandre poirot, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
We used qe-verify throughout the RDM work last year, and it worked
quite well! It was very helpful to have QA double checking new
features and important fixes. I agree we should use this to ask for QA
help in more parts of DevTools.

I am also not sure how to best communicate with QA... In the RDM case,
the QA engineers seemed to magically figure out what was happening
after the fact, but maybe some up front communication of what's coming
would help them? Not sure.

- Ryan

Marco Mucci

Jan 19, 2017, 7:50:20 PM1/19/17
to J. Ryan Stinnett, Alexandre poirot, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello All,

When I'm preparing a DevTool project I reach out to Andrei Vaida <
andrei...@softvisioninc.eu> for organizing who the specific QA contact
will be for the project. After I found out who the individual is I supply
them with a Bugzilla query for identifying the work requiring QA
verification.

Marco
--
Marco Mucci - Engineering Program Manager
Mozilla Corporation

Patrick Brosset

Jan 20, 2017, 4:25:03 AM1/20/17
to Marco Mucci, J. Ryan Stinnett, Alexandre poirot, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Love this! Thanks Alex for starting this thread.

Yes, please, do ask QA for help when working on a new user-facing feature
(or heavily refactoring an existing one).

As Marco said, getting in touch with them *before* a large project starts
is a good idea, QA needs to work out how/when/how much they can help us,
and it's probably a good idea to provide them with meta bugs/design
docs/use cases that give them as much information as possible to test the
feature.

Patrick