Re: Devtools speakers

Joe Walker

Apr 29, 2016, 6:18:14 AM4/29/16
to Dietrich Ayala, dev-developer-tools, Jason Weathersby
There may be people on dev-devel...@lists.mozilla.org that might be
interested, so I Cc...

I'd encourage people to stand up to talk about what we do every now and
again. It may be well out of your comfort zone, but communicating with, and
listening to customers is important, so it's good for us too.

Please get in contact with Dietrich if you're interested.

Joe.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 11:05 AM Patrick Brosset <pbro...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dietrich,
>
> Are all these schools in the US for now? Or do you also have a need for
> speakers in Europe?
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Dietrich Ayala <diet...@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Code schools are growing explosively in the US and internationally -
>> that's where the next generation of web developers will come from.
>>
>> I'm working with a bunch of code schools to guide their curriculum and
>> to bring Mozilla speakers in front of their students.
>>
>> After interviewing a sampling of 20+ schools, its clear that very few
>> people are teaching developer tools in depth, nor anything at all
>> about performance, browser testing, web compatibility, accessibility,
>> localization, security, privacy or anything else we'd consider
>> important.
>>
>> The two things they all have in common is that they love Mozilla, and
>> their first pick of topics for speakers is developer tools.
>>
>> There's no way devrel can meet this need alone - I've interviewed just
>> over 20 schools and have over 200 more on my list. And it's not even
>> close to a comprehensive list.
>>
>> A couple of ways you can help:
>>
>> * Let me know what the best way to communicate with y'all is. It's
>> very likely you don't want me spamming this list all the time :)
>>
>> * Let me know if you're interested in speaking, and what specific
>> topic you want to speak about!
>>
>> * Send me any slides or videos or things like code samples that you
>> have for devtools learning, that we can provide as supplementary
>> materials for their curriculum.
>>
>> * Put me in touch with *anyone* you know who is capable and willing to
>> speak about devtools.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Dietrich
>>
>> PS: I do have an immediate need for a speaker in the MV/SF area
>> (Woodside), so ping me if you're interested in speaking there in the
>> next month or so.

MozDe...@getaroundtoit.co.uk

Apr 29, 2016, 7:04:01 AM4/29/16
to Dietrich Ayala, dev-developer-tools, Jason Weathersby
Am not able to comment on the 'code schools' claim, but am involved with
the edX/W3C HTML5 courses.
[https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=html5]

The current intro-level course has enrolled 33,854 people from 188
countries. The fall-off and/or active participation rate in MOOCs
appears alarming but our current numbers are 6,425 active students last
week. IIRC last year's intermediate-level courses enjoyed higher numbers
(but please don't quote me).

The intro course has enjoyed (presence and) support from Intel and has
utilised their XDK dev.env (with, I must say, mixed success); but seems
to be turning more towards JSbin, CodePen, GitHub, etc, and the
advantages such offer for collaboration and
publication/evaluation/criticism... (or XDK for dev and posting the
'results'/problems to...)

IMHO there is room for FF dev.edn in such training, and through (similar
to the above) support, opportunity to influence new and hopeful web.devs.

At present Chrome Tools seems anecdotally the tool of choice in more
advanced training environments. (a topic I've seen discussed/lamented
'here')

I see in this situation that there is no 'one browser to rule them all'
(yes, OK, I am writing from New Zealand, aka Hobbiton). There are topics
which are as-yet unsupported within FF just as there are others which
Chrome|ium lacks. Accordingly, (again, in my estimation) the browser
with the strongest dev facilities and offering the best learning
opportunities is likely to 'win' (hearts-and-minds if not 'numbers').

Your thoughts?

Regards,
=dn