New debugger in nightly

James Long

Sep 13, 2016, 10:11:04 AM9/13/16
to dev-developer-tools
In today's nightly, the new debugger is enabled by default. While there are
several features missing, I think this is a huge step up from what we had
before. The best part is we are now equipped to quickly deliver all kinds
of exciting new features, potentially even things like node debugging.

There are still some rough edges. One case I'd like to point out is that
clicking from the console to the debugger doesn't quite work as expected,
but we plan to fix that today. Sourcemaps are not enabled yet, but they
will be within a week or so. Many other features will land within a month.

It feels *great* to be able to forget about the old debugger and focus
fully on this one. It's hard to maintain two products at once, so switching
this on early allows us to focus on one thing.

Thank you to everyone who helped for all the hard work, particularly Jason
(for putting up with me), Bryan (for helping shape this new github world),
Brian G (for helping in all sorts of ways, particularly in the last week),
Helen (awesome designs srsly), and others.

If you'd like to help out, or file issues, please do so here:
https://github.com/devtools-html/debugger.html

Thanks!
- James

Jeff Griffiths

Sep 13, 2016, 4:49:30 PM9/13/16
to James Long, dev-developer-tools
Congratulations! This is a huge step forward for Firefox Developer Tools.
Can't wait for the dark theme :)

Karl Dubost

Sep 13, 2016, 5:29:07 PM9/13/16
to James Long, dev-developer-tools
Hi James,
Congratulations on the release. You mentioned:

Le 13 sept. 2016 à 23:10, James Long <jl...@mozilla.com> a écrit :
> If you'd like to help out, or file issues, please do so here:
> https://github.com/devtools-html/debugger.html

# Reporting bugs

But what are the things which are not necessary to report because you know it's not there yet. Testing quickly this morning I see already:

* pretty print not working
* no search
* no list of events
* etc.

As I guess there are not real bugs, but just missing things (because of early release), reporting them would just be noise.

# Calendar of features release

Do you have an approximate calendar (nothing precise) on when the debugger will be usable again in Nightly?

Thanks.
Keep up the good work

--
Karl Dubost, Mozilla
http://www.la-grange.net/karl/moz

Jim Blandy

Sep 13, 2016, 7:21:38 PM9/13/16
to James Long, dev-developer-tools
It's great to see this coming in to port after a long voyage.
Congratulations!

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 7:10 AM, James Long <jl...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> In today's nightly, the new debugger is enabled by default. While there are
> several features missing, I think this is a huge step up from what we had
> before. The best part is we are now equipped to quickly deliver all kinds
> of exciting new features, potentially even things like node debugging.
>
> There are still some rough edges. One case I'd like to point out is that
> clicking from the console to the debugger doesn't quite work as expected,
> but we plan to fix that today. Sourcemaps are not enabled yet, but they
> will be within a week or so. Many other features will land within a month.
>
> It feels *great* to be able to forget about the old debugger and focus
> fully on this one. It's hard to maintain two products at once, so switching
> this on early allows us to focus on one thing.
>
> Thank you to everyone who helped for all the hard work, particularly Jason
> (for putting up with me), Bryan (for helping shape this new github world),
> Brian G (for helping in all sorts of ways, particularly in the last week),
> Helen (awesome designs srsly), and others.
>
> If you'd like to help out, or file issues, please do so here:
> https://github.com/devtools-html/debugger.html

Jeff Griffiths

Sep 14, 2016, 2:17:49 PM9/14/16
to Jim Blandy, James Long, dev-developer-tools
tbqh as far as major projects go I think this one went pretty well? AFAICT
work started in earnest about a year ago, but James was the only developer
for a far amount of time.

( I will allow that if I was stuck on a boat for as long as James was
working on this I'd have gone a little batty by now. )

Jeff

James Long

Sep 15, 2016, 10:14:09 AM9/15/16
to Jeff Griffiths, dev-developer-tools, Jim Blandy
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Jeff Griffiths <jgrif...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> tbqh as far as major projects go I think this one went pretty well? AFAICT
> work started in earnest about a year ago, but James was the only developer
> for a far amount of time.

Yeah, I think it went great. A few complaints but I suspect people are just
really happy to see movement. This makes me feel "in the game" now where
before we were kind of stuck (with the debugger), and showing major
movement on a product is usually good.

Fun fact: the first actual commit was March 23 (
https://github.com/devtools-html/debugger.html/commit/2d2100ee1cb0cd7a6dd40f7404648944bc117239).
But yeah, the 6 months before that I kept trying to salvage the old
debugger, and I wish I had done this sooner.

> ( I will allow that if I was stuck on a boat for as long as James was
> working on this I'd have gone a little batty by now. )

I've seen the shore since March, and we've just landed! That was all the
motivation I needed.