New owner of about:debugging: Julian Descottes

Jan Keromnes

Aug 9, 2016, 12:30:41 PM8/9/16
to dev-developer-tools, Andrew McKay, Julian Descottes, Kumar McMillan, Bryan Clark, Ryan Stinnett, Kit Cambridge, Luca Greco, Ricky Chien, fx-devtools, Benjamin Kelly, Soledad Penades, Andrew Overholt, Alexandre Poirot, Edwin Wong
Hi team,

In just over 10 months (since the first patch
<https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/f7d061945bbc> in October 2015)
about:debugging has become an indispensable tool to work on Service Workers
and WebExtensions in Firefox. It's been featured in many tutorials, news
articles and web conferences around the world, and today it helps countless
developers discover powerful new web technologies and build them into their
apps.

This is what happens when excellent UX (thanks Helen!) meets relentless
engineering efforts from several teams at Mozilla and from our very
resourceful community. I'm incredibly proud of what we've achieved so far,
and I'm thankful for all the contributions this project has received.

However, it's time for me to move on from Devtools to join Mozilla's
Engineering Productivity team and focus on new undertakings (spoilers: the
Janitor <https://janitor.technology>). That's why I've been looking to
transition my current Devtools projects, and I'm happy to announce that
Julian Descottes has agreed to step up as the new owner of about:debugging.

To me, Julian is the ideal candidate for the job, as he's already familiar
with the code base, and he's made several major contributions to it. Over
the last 10 months, we've had many interesting discussions about the
project's future, and I now trust Julian's judgement more than my own. This
is great news for about:debugging and for Devtools, so please join me in
congratulating Julian for this new role!

This is not really good bye, as I'll stay around to help Julian ramp up,
and assist him in bringing about exciting new about:debugging features,
like Remote Debugging and Service Worker upgrade debugging. Thank you all
for these incredible 2.5 years, I've thoroughly enjoyed working with you
and I hope we'll continue to hang out, for late night drinks or Go games or
otherwise. Once a devtooler, always a devtooler!

Best,
Jan