FirePHP is ported to a Web Extension

Christoph Dorn

Nov 14, 2017, 12:18:41 AM11/14/17
to mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
I am writing to announce that FirePHP has been ported to a Web Extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firephp/

I am wondering if it can be included in relevant documentation and announcements.

I had to remove all functionality where it logs server messages to the console. It now logs them to its own panel. Looking forward to leveraging more devtools APIs as they become available.

If anyone has any questions let me know!

Looking forward to feedback!

Thanks!
Christoph

Patrick Brosset

Nov 14, 2017, 4:57:54 AM11/14/17
to Christoph Dorn, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Christoph,

That sounds great. I'm not seeing the new version on AMO yet though. Has it
been pushed but not reviewed yet perhaps?
Also, is this a direct port of FirePHP, or does it support a different
server-side log transport mechanism like ChromeLogger?

Patrick

Erik Krause

Nov 14, 2017, 10:48:36 AM11/14/17
to dev-devel...@lists.mozilla.org
Am 14.11.2017 um 10:57 schrieb Patrick Brosset:
> Also, is this a direct port of FirePHP, or does it support a different
> server-side log transport mechanism like ChromeLogger?

It supports the same server side mechanism, old FirePHP.class.php works.
But an updated version is planned (according to Christoph).

--
Erik Krause

Christoph Dorn

Nov 14, 2017, 1:57:23 PM11/14/17
to pbro...@mozilla.com, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org

On November 14, 2017 01:58:00 am PST, "Patrick Brosset"
<pbro...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> That sounds great. I'm not seeing the new version on AMO yet though. Has it
> been pushed but not reviewed yet perhaps?

It was live and then was rejected:
https://twitter.com/cadorn/status/930355260261941248

You can download it from here:
https://github.com/firephp/firephp-for-firefox-devtools

I am going to have to see if I can get around the restrictions for
listed addons. It is too bad that I was not aware of different
restrictions for self-hosted vs listed addons prior to today. It would
have been nice if the addons site proactively warned me that an
extension may not be listed due to xyz even though it passes
linting/signing.

> Also, is this a direct port of FirePHP, or does it support a different
> server-side log transport mechanism like ChromeLogger?

Other than the UI lib that displays the data and the wildfire transport
lib it is a complete rewrite but as Erik mentioned it is fully
compatible with the FirePHPCore/Wildfire transport.

It will also support the ChromeLogger transport and the more advanced
Insight PHP library with expanded wildfire protocol in time.

Christoph

Christoph Dorn

Nov 14, 2017, 9:29:05 PM11/14/17
to pbro...@mozilla.com, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org

I have written up my thoughts regarding the rejection of the FirePHP
addon for listing here [1].

I am trying to understand how the code should be best presented for
review and how the pattern of inlining many source modules should be
handled.

I am wondering if people on this list have opinions about this or which
list I should ask on?

I am eager to find a lasting solution for this as I have more devtools
extensions to release.

Thanks!
Christoph

[1] - https://github.com/firephp/firephp-for-firefox-devtools/issues/37

On November 14, 2017 10:57:24 am PST, "Christoph Dorn"

Harald Kirschner

Nov 15, 2017, 1:00:47 AM11/15/17
to chri...@christophdorn.com, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org, pbro...@mozilla.com
Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your work, and sorry for the rejection.

I reached out to the AMO team, we should have a solution for this quickly!
It is not easy for them to tell apart developer focused extensions from
others that need higher security requirements.

What other extensions do you have in the works?

/Harald
On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:29 PM Christoph Dorn <chri...@christophdorn.com>