Re: View source vs inspect element

J. Ryan Stinnett

Sep 29, 2015, 2:49:42 PM9/29/15
to Sam Foster, Gareth Aye, dev-developer-tools, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
(Adding dev-developer-tools as well, in case others on the team have comments.)

I usually think of it the same way as Sam above, view-source has an
expected meaning of the server's response. If it happens you're
looking at an app that generates its content client side, then there
won't be much to see in that view.

- Ryan

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Sam Foster <sfo...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> my 2c: View-source has a well defined meaning at this point; if a button
> says view-source, I expect the (static/server-response) source, not the
> document outerHTML. If what you really want is a snapshot of the markup
> *now*, you look for DOM inspector / inspect element function instead.
> View-source gets you in at the ground floor, and you can navigate from there
> to the page's resources. It may not end up being that useful for a page like
> Calendar/index.html, maybe there's a UI solution to toggle between inspector
> and view-source.
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Gareth Aye <garet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey fxos people,
>>
>> *Background*
>>
>> Calendar (like many gaia apps) is a single page application. We still use
>> urls internally for navigation and that came up recently for 2.5 view source
>> since our client-only urls (/month, /week, /event/add, etc) were confusing
>>
>> My question is about the usefulness of view source if it grabs a static
>> html file instead of a dump of the active html. Calendar's html file lacks a
>> lot of components which are lazily loaded. I don't use view source typically
>> (usually I inspect element). Is view source (over inspect element) a popular
>> desktop feature and what do developers use it for? Are we okay with the fact
>> that our apps' html files (and probably a significant overall percentage of
>> mobile web apps) will lack a lot of ui components which are dynamically
>> loaded?
>>
>> (Entirely possible that I am missing something, so don't hesitate to tell
>> me if my premises are totally off.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gareth

Gareth Aye

Sep 29, 2015, 3:03:02 PM9/29/15
to J. Ryan Stinnett, Sam Foster, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-developer-tools
Fair enough. I probably won't use it, but if other developers want that and
it's generally understood to be the static html file, then I am happy.

Panos Astithas

Sep 30, 2015, 3:42:38 AM9/30/15
to Gareth Aye, J. Ryan Stinnett, Sam Foster, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-developer-tools
It's useful to keep in mind however that Firefox also has the "View
Selection Source" context menu item that opens view-source with the dynamic
content of the selection.