Taking network throttling feature out of the responsive design mode?

Soledad Penadés

Jan 10, 2017, 11:29:24 AM1/10/17
to dev-developer-tools
Hi all

There are multiple comments, both in this post and elsewhere (e.g.
Twitter) where people are asking why is the network throttling feature
inside responsive design mode.

https://blog.nightly.mozilla.org/2016/11/07/simulate-slow-connections-with-the-network-throttling-tool/#comment-201

I see their point, and you could argue that we're conflating two things
- different sizes and ratios (RDM) and different network conditions
(network throttling).

But I don't know what the rationale behind the current design decision.

In any case I wanted to raise this so we have it in mind :)

--
http://soledadpenades.com

stripTM

Jan 10, 2017, 2:21:56 PM1/10/17
to so...@mozilla.com, dev-developer-tools
I personally would keep it in Responsive design mode is the place where I
would expect to find it when I'm debugging for mobile.

Maybe you could also add (and have it duplicated) in Network monitor, I
would not find in that position.

-=stripTM=-
http://mozilla-hispano.org
http://twitter.com/striptm

J. Ryan Stinnett

Jan 10, 2017, 3:50:54 PM1/10/17
to stripTM, dev-developer-tools, Soledad Penadés
The RDM tool can be used for several purposes at the moment, ranked by priority:

1. Testing responsive sites for different devices and environments
2. Exposes various device simulation tools you could use on any page

The team working on RDM mostly thinks about use case 1, but there are
definitely people that want use case 2 as well (including Mozilla's
web compat team).

Since we imagined the largest use case for the simulation tools like
network throttling, user agent changes, etc. was checking across
different devices, RDM seemed like a natural home for these things.

At the same time, it's definitely true that you may want the
simulation tools and not care about page size for a particular task,
and that did come up in our discussions.

I think they should remain in RDM because there is value for them
there, but could also be duplicated into other places for use outside
of RDM. I believe the main challenge is: where do you put them?

A. We could put them into various existing tools, like network
monitor, but they already have complex UIs they might not have room
for this
B. We could create a simulation panel for things like this, but we
already have lots of panels
C. A simulation DevTools add-on could be created that offers the tools
in its own panel

So, I think summary is that they are in RDM at the moment because it
has room for them and there's a good reason for them to be there. The
tools do have use outside of RDM, but there are more UX challenges to
be resolved.

- Ryan