"Pitfalls": are these current?

Soledad Penadés

Apr 7, 2017, 6:58:10 AM4/7/17
to dev-developer-tools
Hello fellow DevToolers!

It's 2015. October. It's cold outside. But indoors, sitting with their
warm laptops on their legs while doing a post-clobber build, and
possibly enjoying the sempiternal Autumn drink (a pumpking spice latte),
a bunch of people in the team dumped their list of "pitfalls" into an
Etherpad document:

https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/devtools-intro-pitfalls

Now, it's 2017. April. Spring! The ideal time for a brand new start!

I am consolidating documentation this quarter and evaluating what is
(and is not) current any more, and this document is a tad opaque. Most
of it looks more like "this frustrates me", and hasn't been addressed
yet, than actionable advice for developers. For example: "how are
chrome:// and resource:// urls different".

Many of these are also calling for bugs to be filed.

Unless anyone singles out whatever they think is good advice here, I am
strongly considering ignoring this etherpad.

So my request for you: please read the etherpad, and if there's
something that you think should be "salvaged" from the pyre of old
documents, reply here. Or file bugs. Or rephrase it so it is actual
advice and not therapeutical commiseration. This will all make the
"pitfalls" way more useful :-)

Thank you, and have a good week-end! =)

--
http://soledadpenades.com

Michael (work)

Apr 7, 2017, 8:28:17 AM4/7/17
to dev-devel...@lists.mozilla.org
To save:

- Remote debugging a local build that is launched with
"--start-debugger-server 6000" or going into GCLI and typing "listen 6000"

To delete:

- Everything else.

To be honest it is probably written somewhere else but I am more than
happy that you are bringing all of our docs together.

Do we have any plans to stop this documentation fragmentation in the
future, maybe using JSDocs for APIs etc.?

/Mike

Patrick Brosset

Apr 7, 2017, 9:39:06 AM4/7/17
to Michael (work), dev-developer-tools
Hi Sole,

thanks for looking at old docs and trying to make sense of them :)
I agree with you and Mike, most of it is outdated and useless. I started to
make some comments inside the file, but I'm not sure how useful that is to
be honest, I think we should just ignore the file altogether.
Here's what I consider being current:

* things that use protocol.js vs. things that don't.
We still have the 2 types of actors, but other than causing confusion, they
work, and migrating them would cost a lot, and wouldn't bring any user
value, which is why we've never done it. Not aware of a bug to fix this.

* "which way do I import files?"
I believe Julian had written a very nice guide about this. It would be
great to add it to /devtools/docs/
https://gist.github.com/juliandescottes/169f3a57e1441542565b

Patrick

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Michael (work) <mratc...@mozilla.com>

J. Ryan Stinnett

Apr 7, 2017, 4:59:00 PM4/7/17
to Patrick Brosset, dev-developer-tools, Michael (work)
For "how are chrome:// and resource:// urls different", we now have
http://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/devtools/docs/misc/adding-files.md
which sort of tackles this. It briefly explains chrome content while
describing how to add each type of file.

I agree the rest of that Etherpad can probably be discarded, but I am sure
we can create a new list of pitfalls from our current workflow. It's
encouraging to see that most of these were eventually resolved! :)

- Ryan

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Patrick Brosset <pbro...@mozilla.com>