Shader editor

Isaac Besora

Sep 14, 2017, 3:33:39 AM9/14/17
to mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone. I was just checking the Firefox dev tools website to see where I could contribute to and I saw that the Shader Editor is unmantained. As that's something I really like I was asking myself why is that so. Is it because there is no real interest in something like that? Or is it just a matter of not enough resources?

Patrick Brosset

Sep 14, 2017, 3:45:04 AM9/14/17
to Isaac Besora, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Isaac,

Both reasons are true. The ShaderEditor receives very little interest, and
the group of people working on DevTools (Mozilla staff and contributors) do
not really have the resources to maintain it.
In fact, seeing that we're doing a poor job at maintaining it, and knowing
that there exist better alternatives out there, we are intending to
discontinue this part of DevTools altogether.

A few links:
- here's an email thread where this was discussed already:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mozilla.dev.developer-tools/webgl%7Csort:relevance/mozilla.dev.developer-tools/RRVQHSYeTNM/dmixo60vAgAJ
- here's an extension (already works on Firefox) that seems to be more
popular: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/spector-js/
- also, our the Shader Editor was ported to a Chrome extension:
https://github.com/spite/ShaderEditorExtension. This extension doesn't yet
work on Firefox but that shouldn't be too hard. I see that you already
commented on the issue to make it compatible with Firefox:
https://github.com/spite/ShaderEditorExtension/issues/21