Some fun twitter stats

Patrick Brosset

Jul 20, 2017, 3:17:32 AM7/20/17
to dev-developer-tools
I've been tracking our followers count on the @FirefoxDevTools twitter
account over the past 8 months or so.

Our followers count goes up very steadily, no acceleration, no
deceleration, and not really impacted by winter or summer holidays either
(from what I can see so far).

On average, the account gets +7.3 followers each day.
It passed 10K followers beginning of July.

[image: Inline image 1]

There's also a very clear link between blogging about DevTools and getting
more twitter followers.
In June, Gabriel wrote about the new Layout panel
<https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/06/new-css-grid-layout-panel-in-firefox-nightly/>
on hacks.m.o and we got +25 two days in a row.
Earlier in June, Honza wrote about the new Netmonitor panel
<https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/06/network-monitor-reloaded/> on hacks too,
and we also got +20 or so.
Beginning of this year, I wrote a 2016 accomplishments post
<https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/01/devtools-what-you-need-to-know/> and the
same thing happened.

I think cool gifs of ongoing work also has this effect. Over the past
couple of days, we've had some great looking demos of the css grid
highlighter from Micah
<https://twitter.com/MicTig/status/887526371219656705>, and of css shapes
from Mike <https://twitter.com/kaabistar/status/887671914340261888>. And
we've been doing between +10 and +15 over these past few days.

Anyway, I'll keep on looking at this on a regular basis going forward.
Obviously twitter is just one of our communication channels, but increasing
our audience there works in our favor, so let's keep those blog posts and
great tweets coming!

Cheers,
Patrick