Question about debugger

timkm...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2017, 6:25:35 AM3/13/17
to mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello, not sure if this goes here, but I have a question about the JS Debugger in firefox developer edition.

I currently have 54.0a2 (2017-03-10) (32-bit) installed. Until this most recent update, I was pretty sure in the debugger window that you could issue console commands. That seems to be gone now, and all I can see in the bottom of the window is a little icon like this {} (says Prettify Source). Had this functionality been removed now, or is there some sort of toggle to turn the console back on in this window? I find it more useful when I set a breakpoint to be able to type in a console command in the debugger window rather than have to click on the Console window to do so.

Also, I noticed there is now 'Watch Expression' on the left pane, which is a feature I've been waiting to return to Dev edition, so that's exciting. I have done some searching to see, but is there a timeline as to when the full debugger toolset will be back?

One more thing. Not that I want to compare with Google Chrome, but one of this nice things I like about debugging in Chrome is when you set a breakpoint, the script window shows all of variable values in the scope alongside the code in the debugger window as the script executes. Hopefully I am explaining that correctly, I am not sure what you call that feature; I can provide a picture if it's unclear. Is this planned for Developer Tools in the future?

All in all, I really like what's been happening with the development of this browser, I enjoy using it as an alternative to Chrome as my development browser.

Thanks Everyone!

Nicolas Chevobbe

Mar 13, 2017, 7:30:51 AM3/13/17
to timkm...@gmail.com, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Tim,

You can still have the console displayed in the same window as the debugger
(as well as with all the other developer tools). It's what we call
split-console and you can toggle it with a dedicated button in the toolbar
:

[image: Images intégrées 1]

As for debugger plans, jlast and bclark are mor esuitted to answer you, but
you can dig the github repository (
https://github.com/devtools-html/debugger.html) to see what is already
filed/worked on.

Jason Laster

Mar 13, 2017, 8:07:45 AM3/13/17
to timkm...@gmail.com, mozilla-dev-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Tim, thanks for the feedback

Watch Expressions - the new frontend has watch expressions on the right

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:46 AM, <timkm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, not sure if this goes here, but I have a question about the JS
> Debugger in firefox developer edition.
>
> I currently have 54.0a2 (2017-03-10) (32-bit) installed. Until this most
> recent update, I was pretty sure in the debugger window that you could
> issue console commands. That seems to be gone now, and all I can see in the
> bottom of the window is a little icon like this {} (says Prettify Source).
> Had this functionality been removed now, or is there some sort of toggle to
> turn the console back on in this window? I find it more useful when I set a
> breakpoint to be able to type in a console command in the debugger window
> rather than have to click on the Console window to do so.
>
> Also, I noticed there is now 'Watch Expression' on the left pane, which is
> a feature I've been waiting to return to Dev edition, so that's exciting. I
> have done some searching to see, but is there a timeline as to when the
> full debugger toolset will be back?
>
> What do you mean by this?

> One more thing. Not that I want to compare with Google Chrome, but one of
> this nice things I like about debugging in Chrome is when you set a
> breakpoint, the script window shows all of variable values in the scope
> alongside the code in the debugger window as the script executes. Hopefully
> I am explaining that correctly, I am not sure what you call that feature; I
> can provide a picture if it's unclear. Is this planned for Developer Tools
> in the future?

We're going to work on inline previews in Q3. I would to see us have a UI
that is better than the yellow highlight lines :P

> All in all, I really like what's been happening with the development of
> this browser, I enjoy using it as an alternative to Chrome as my
> development browser.
>
> Thanks!

Tim Molloy

Mar 13, 2017, 10:25:55 AM3/13/17
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 5:30:51 AM UTC-6, Nicolas Chevobbe wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> You can still have the console displayed in the same window as the debugger
> (as well as with all the other developer tools). It's what we call
> split-console and you can toggle it with a dedicated button in the toolbar
> :
>

> [image: Images intégrées 1]

Ah, I knew it was something simple, thanks so much!

Cheers,
Tim