Re: getting b2g desktop working on windows

Jeff Griffiths

Jul 12, 2012, 7:04:29 PM7/12/12
to siho...@gmail.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
I've created a way to more easily to do this for B2G dektop on Mac
machines, and would love it of someone baked in Windows support:

https://github.com/canuckistani/gaia-rocking

Pull requests welcome!

On Thu Jul 12 04:26:48 2012, siho...@gmail.com wrote:
> The b2g desktop builds are now available on windows. However downloading and running them results in a black screen. The reason for this is that all of the actual applications are not part of the build. To actually use them on windows you have to checkout gaia on linux and build the profile.
>
> Ideally the desktop build should work out of the box on windows -- it is better to show an older set of apps than to show nothing at all. Until it works out of the box you can take the following steps:
>
> 0) I assume you have downloaded b2g from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-central/
> 1) Download the missing profile (35 Meg) and unzip it on your windows machine (https://www.dropbox.com/s/chgaf1hfpqv7y8p/gaia-profile.zip)
> 2) Right click on the b2g.exe file and select create shortcut
> 3) Right click on the newly created shortcut and add the following after b2g.exe
> -profile "<path to downloaded profile directory>"
> 4) now when you click on the shortcut it should load b2g desktop with the phone interface.
>
> This at least lets you try out the interface on windows for now.

siho...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2012, 10:25:50 AM7/13/12
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com
On Friday, 13 July 2012 01:04:29 UTC+2, Jeff Griffiths wrote:
> I&#39;ve created a way to more easily to do this for B2G dektop on Mac
> machines, and would love it of someone baked in Windows support:
>
> https://github.com/canuckistani/gaia-rocking
>
> Pull requests welcome!
>
> On Thu Jul 12 04:26:48 2012, sihorton wrote:
> &gt; The b2g desktop builds are now available on windows. However downloading and running them results in a black screen. The reason for this is that all of the actual applications are not part of the build. To actually use them on windows you have to checkout gaia on linux and build the profile.
> &gt;
> &gt; Ideally the desktop build should work out of the box on windows -- it is better to show an older set of apps than to show nothing at all. Until it works out of the box you can take the following steps:
> &gt;
> &gt; 0) I assume you have downloaded b2g from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-central/
> &gt; 1) Download the missing profile (35 Meg) and unzip it on your windows machine (https://www.dropbox.com/s/chgaf1hfpqv7y8p/gaia-profile.zip)
> &gt; 2) Right click on the b2g.exe file and select create shortcut
> &gt; 3) Right click on the newly created shortcut and add the following after b2g.exe
> &gt; -profile &quot;&lt;path to downloaded profile directory&gt;&quot;
> &gt; 4) now when you click on the shortcut it should load b2g desktop with the phone interface.
> &gt;
> &gt; This at least lets you try out the interface on windows for now.
> &gt; _______________________________________________
> &gt; dev-b2g mailing list

I think it might be better to supply pre-compiled stuff for windows since many people don't have a full compilation environment setup and so that can be a tricky and time consuming route even if the scripts work well.

I have improved the solution for windows and put it up onto github https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile

All that is needed is to unzip the project to a profile directory and then run the install.bat, it will fix the missing dll and create a bat file to run b2g-desktop with the supplied pre-compiled profile.

Obviously this can come baked into the nightly for windows in the future, but until then this gives a very easy startup for windows.

siho...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2012, 10:25:50 AM7/13/12
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com
On Friday, 13 July 2012 01:04:29 UTC+2, Jeff Griffiths wrote:
> I&#39;ve created a way to more easily to do this for B2G dektop on Mac
> machines, and would love it of someone baked in Windows support:
>
> https://github.com/canuckistani/gaia-rocking
>
> Pull requests welcome!

Simon Horton

Jul 22, 2012, 2:19:51 PM7/22/12
to juli...@gmail.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Code=0000
On Jul 22, 2012 8:08 PM, <juli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I download the 35mb's profile but it has a security code, which one is the
> number? pls
>
> El viernes, 13 de julio de 2012 09:25:50 UTC-5, siho...@gmail.com escribió:
> > On Friday, 13 July 2012 01:04:29 UTC+2, Jeff Griffiths wrote:
> > &gt; I&amp;#39;ve created a way to more easily to do this for B2G dektop
> on Mac
> > &gt; machines, and would love it of someone baked in Windows support:
> > &gt;
> > &gt; https://github.com/canuckistani/gaia-rocking
> > &gt;
> > &gt; Pull requests welcome!
> > &gt;
> > &gt; On Thu Jul 12 04:26:48 2012, sihorton wrote:
> > &gt; &amp;gt; The b2g desktop builds are now available on windows.
> However downloading and running them results in a black screen. The reason
> for this is that all of the actual applications are not part of the build.
> To actually use them on windows you have to checkout gaia on linux and
> build the profile.
> > &gt; &amp;gt;
> > &gt; &amp;gt; Ideally the desktop build should work out of the box on
> windows -- it is better to show an older set of apps than to show nothing
> at all. Until it works out of the box you can take the following steps:
> > &gt; &amp;gt;
> > &gt; &amp;gt; 0) I assume you have downloaded b2g from
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-central/
> > &gt; &amp;gt; 1) Download the missing profile (35 Meg) and unzip it on
> > &gt; &amp;gt; 2) Right click on the b2g.exe file and select create
> shortcut
> > &gt; &amp;gt; 3) Right click on the newly created shortcut and add the
> following after b2g.exe
> > &gt; &amp;gt; -profile &amp;quot;&amp;lt;path to downloaded profile
> directory&amp;gt;&amp;quot;
> > &gt; &amp;gt; 4) now when you click on the shortcut it should load b2g
> desktop with the phone interface.
> > &gt; &amp;gt;
> > &gt; &amp;gt; This at least lets you try out the interface on windows
> for now.
> > &gt; &amp;gt; _______________________________________________
> > &gt; &amp;gt; dev-b2g mailing list
> >
> > I think it might be better to supply pre-compiled stuff for windows
> since many people don&#39;t have a full compilation environment setup and

juli...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2012, 2:08:38 PM7/22/12
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com
Hi,
I download the 35mb's profile but it has a security code, which one is the number? pls

El viernes, 13 de julio de 2012 09:25:50 UTC-5, siho...@gmail.com escribió:
> On Friday, 13 July 2012 01:04:29 UTC+2, Jeff Griffiths wrote:
> &gt; I&amp;#39;ve created a way to more easily to do this for B2G dektop on Mac
> &gt; machines, and would love it of someone baked in Windows support:
> &gt;
> &gt; https://github.com/canuckistani/gaia-rocking
> &gt;
> &gt; Pull requests welcome!
> &gt;
> &gt; On Thu Jul 12 04:26:48 2012, sihorton wrote:
> &gt; &amp;gt; The b2g desktop builds are now available on windows. However downloading and running them results in a black screen. The reason for this is that all of the actual applications are not part of the build. To actually use them on windows you have to checkout gaia on linux and build the profile.
> &gt; &amp;gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; Ideally the desktop build should work out of the box on windows -- it is better to show an older set of apps than to show nothing at all. Until it works out of the box you can take the following steps:
> &gt; &amp;gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; 0) I assume you have downloaded b2g from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-central/
> &gt; &amp;gt; 1) Download the missing profile (35 Meg) and unzip it on your windows machine (https://www.dropbox.com/s/chgaf1hfpqv7y8p/gaia-profile.zip)
> &gt; &amp;gt; 2) Right click on the b2g.exe file and select create shortcut
> &gt; &amp;gt; 3) Right click on the newly created shortcut and add the following after b2g.exe
> &gt; &amp;gt; -profile &amp;quot;&amp;lt;path to downloaded profile directory&amp;gt;&amp;quot;
> &gt; &amp;gt; 4) now when you click on the shortcut it should load b2g desktop with the phone interface.
> &gt; &amp;gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; This at least lets you try out the interface on windows for now.
> &gt; &amp;gt; _______________________________________________
> &gt; &amp;gt; dev-b2g mailing list
>
> I think it might be better to supply pre-compiled stuff for windows since many people don&#39;t have a full compilation environment setup and so that can be a tricky and time consuming route even if the scripts work well.

juli...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2012, 2:08:38 PM7/22/12
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com
Hi,
I download the 35mb's profile but it has a security code, which one is the number? pls

El viernes, 13 de julio de 2012 09:25:50 UTC-5, siho...@gmail.com escribió:
> On Friday, 13 July 2012 01:04:29 UTC+2, Jeff Griffiths wrote:
> &gt; I&amp;#39;ve created a way to more easily to do this for B2G dektop on Mac
> &gt; machines, and would love it of someone baked in Windows support:
> &gt;
> &gt; https://github.com/canuckistani/gaia-rocking
> &gt;
> &gt; Pull requests welcome!
> &gt;
> &gt; On Thu Jul 12 04:26:48 2012, sihorton wrote:
> &gt; &amp;gt; The b2g desktop builds are now available on windows. However downloading and running them results in a black screen. The reason for this is that all of the actual applications are not part of the build. To actually use them on windows you have to checkout gaia on linux and build the profile.
> &gt; &amp;gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; Ideally the desktop build should work out of the box on windows -- it is better to show an older set of apps than to show nothing at all. Until it works out of the box you can take the following steps:
> &gt; &amp;gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; 0) I assume you have downloaded b2g from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/b2g/nightly/latest-mozilla-central/
> &gt; &amp;gt; 1) Download the missing profile (35 Meg) and unzip it on your windows machine (https://www.dropbox.com/s/chgaf1hfpqv7y8p/gaia-profile.zip)
> &gt; &amp;gt; 2) Right click on the b2g.exe file and select create shortcut
> &gt; &amp;gt; 3) Right click on the newly created shortcut and add the following after b2g.exe
> &gt; &amp;gt; -profile &amp;quot;&amp;lt;path to downloaded profile directory&amp;gt;&amp;quot;
> &gt; &amp;gt; 4) now when you click on the shortcut it should load b2g desktop with the phone interface.
> &gt; &amp;gt;
> &gt; &amp;gt; This at least lets you try out the interface on windows for now.
> &gt; &amp;gt; _______________________________________________
> &gt; &amp;gt; dev-b2g mailing list
>
> I think it might be better to supply pre-compiled stuff for windows since many people don&#39;t have a full compilation environment setup and so that can be a tricky and time consuming route even if the scripts work well.

Simon Horton

Jul 24, 2012, 8:44:47 AM7/24/12
to feliper...@gmail.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Some ideas:

1) if the crash is related to a missing dll then run install.bat in the
profile directory you unzipped it will copy in the missing dll.
2) profile directory should be placed under the folder where you installed
the nightly desktop client.
3) running install.bat creates a file to run b2g.exe and provide it with
the profile directory.

See if one of those fixes it for you, if not then send details of your os,
and message given when it crashes so we can try to help more.

/Simon
On Jul 24, 2012 2:21 PM, <feliper...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello There,
>
> I'm following the instructions given, but I don't have sucess.
> It just wont' run...
> I don't get any code screen, just a crash.
>
> any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Felipe

Simon Horton

Jul 24, 2012, 9:01:29 AM7/24/12
to Felipe Cunha, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felipe

Sounds like you are doing exactly right. I have windows 7 64bit and got it
working on that. I guess you could try downloading an older nightly in case
something went wrong last night.

I get errors about missing settings that should be added to build.js but it
still started the app and displayed the phone ui.

Can you post the exact text or set of text you get to the mailing list
maybe someone can then have an idea what can be done to fix it. I am not
sure what the ensure db error means.

Simon
On Jul 24, 2012 2:53 PM, "Felipe Cunha" <feliper...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello There Simon,
>
> I've done all as instructed...
> I got the nightly build from mozilla, and the zip folder from github.
> The profile folder is where it is supposed to be
> I run the install.bat, and the desktop build wont work.
> I try running the b2g-profile.bat, and It will give me an error. (ensureDB
> error cb!)
>
> I'm running windows7 32 ptbr...
>
> Not sure what is happening here..
>
> Cheers,
> _______________
> Felipe Cunha
> skype:cyberlipe

siho...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2012, 2:49:17 PM7/24/12
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org
We found that the problem was caused by special charactures in the path that b2g was running from. The github repository has been updated to fix the issue and we now use relative paths in install.bat so it should not be an issue in the future.

/Simon

siho...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2012, 2:49:17 PM7/24/12
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org

feliper...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2012, 8:21:02 AM7/24/12
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com

feliper...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2012, 8:21:02 AM7/24/12
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com

Felipe Cunha

Jul 24, 2012, 8:53:11 AM7/24/12
to siho...@gmail.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@googlegroups.com

Felipe Cunha

Jul 24, 2012, 9:15:14 AM7/24/12
to siho...@gmail.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@googlegroups.com
It does not give me any other error than that...

What I tried right now, was to get the folder on github, instead of the zip
file...
Then it will run one time, when i run install.bat... Then it crashes on the
browser, then it won't run again until I do all of it again (it won't run
on b2g-profile.bat)..

It's somewhat strange...

Could you maybe tell me which version of the nighly desktop build you have
in there, so can try that same one...

Cheers,
_______________
Felipe Cunha
Skype: cyberlipe

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Simon Horton <siho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Felipe
>
> Sounds like you are doing exactly right. I have windows 7 64bit and got it
> working on that. I guess you could try downloading an older nightly in case
> something went wrong last night.
>
> I get errors about missing settings that should be added to build.js but
> it still started the app and displayed the phone ui.
>
> Can you post the exact text or set of text you get to the mailing list
> maybe someone can then have an idea what can be done to fix it. I am not
> sure what the ensure db error means.
>
> Simon

Simon Horton

Jul 26, 2012, 12:07:42 PM7/26/12
to maxime....@epistema.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maxime,

You can use the windows installer I built that includes b2g and gaia.

https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/blob/master/install-b2g.exe?raw=true

If you require a particular version of b2g then download it and extract
over the top of the files from the installer.

Simon
On Jul 26, 2012 4:56 PM, <maxime....@epistema.com> wrote:

> Could somebody upload somewhere a complete ready-to-run Windows build of
> B2G 17.0a1 ?
> Thanks a lot

Martijn

Jul 26, 2012, 12:16:52 PM7/26/12
to siho...@gmail.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, maxime....@epistema.com, mozilla...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Simon Horton <siho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Maxime,
>
> You can use the windows installer I built that includes b2g and gaia.
>
> https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/blob/master/install-b2g.exe?raw=true

I get: Error: blob is too big with that link.

Regards,
Martijn

> If you require a particular version of b2g then download it and extract
> over the top of the files from the installer.
>
> Simon
> On Jul 26, 2012 4:56 PM, <maxime....@epistema.com> wrote:
>
>> Could somebody upload somewhere a complete ready-to-run Windows build of
>> B2G 17.0a1 ?
>> Thanks a lot

Martijn Wargers - Help Mozilla!
http://quality.mozilla.org/
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla_QA_Community
irc://irc.mozilla.org/qa - /nick mw22

Simon Horton

Jul 26, 2012, 12:24:06 PM7/26/12
to Martijn, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, maxime....@epistema.com, mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martijn,

I have not seen that error before. The installer is more than 20 meg. You
can try the following:

https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/blob/master/install-gaiaui.exe?raw=true

That will give you an installer for gaia only. So download b2g and extract
first then install gaia into the b2g directory.

Simon
On Jul 26, 2012 6:17 PM, "Martijn" <martijn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Simon Horton <siho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Maxime,
> >
> > You can use the windows installer I built that includes b2g and gaia.
> >

> https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/blob/master/install-b2g.exe?raw=true
>
> I get: Error: blob is too big with that link.
>
> Regards,
> Martijn
>
> > If you require a particular version of b2g then download it and extract
> > over the top of the files from the installer.
> >
> > Simon
> > On Jul 26, 2012 4:56 PM, <maxime....@epistema.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Could somebody upload somewhere a complete ready-to-run Windows build of
> >> B2G 17.0a1 ?
> >> Thanks a lot

Martijn

Jul 26, 2012, 12:29:54 PM7/26/12
to siho...@gmail.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, maxime....@epistema.com, mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

I still get the same error with that link.
But I just downloaded a zip file from:
https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/zipball/master
In that zip file I can see the installer and that works fine. Thanks!

Regards,
Martijn

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Simon Horton <siho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martijn,
>
> I have not seen that error before. The installer is more than 20 meg. You
> can try the following:
>
> https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/blob/master/install-gaiaui.exe?raw=true
>
> That will give you an installer for gaia only. So download b2g and extract
> first then install gaia into the b2g directory.
>
> Simon
>
> On Jul 26, 2012 6:17 PM, "Martijn" <martijn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Simon Horton <siho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Maxime,
>> >
>> > You can use the windows installer I built that includes b2g and gaia.
>> >

>> > https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/blob/master/install-b2g.exe?raw=true
>>
>> I get: Error: blob is too big with that link.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Martijn
>>
>> > If you require a particular version of b2g then download it and extract
>> > over the top of the files from the installer.
>> >
>> > Simon

Simon Horton

Jul 26, 2012, 12:34:29 PM7/26/12
to Martijn, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, maxime....@epistema.com, mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Ok good that works for you. I have not seen that error before so I will
look into it. I can host the installer on another platform if there is a
size limit on github.

Simon

maxime....@epistema.com

Jul 26, 2012, 10:56:22 AM7/26/12
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com

maxime....@epistema.com

Jul 26, 2012, 10:56:22 AM7/26/12
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com

sihorton

Jul 26, 2012, 7:19:53 PM7/26/12
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com, maxime....@epistema.com
On Thursday, 26 July 2012 18:29:54 UTC+2, Martijn wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I still get the same error with that link.
> But I just downloaded a zip file from:
> https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/zipball/master
> In that zip file I can see the installer and that works fine. Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Martijn

I have updated the installer and it is available from https://github.com/downloads/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/b2g-gaia-desktop.exe which should fix the blob error. There is also a portable version available from https://github.com/downloads/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/b2g-portable.exe

sihorton

Jul 26, 2012, 7:19:53 PM7/26/12
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com, maxime....@epistema.com
On Thursday, 26 July 2012 18:29:54 UTC+2, Martijn wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I still get the same error with that link.
> But I just downloaded a zip file from:
> https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/zipball/master
> In that zip file I can see the installer and that works fine. Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Martijn

Tony Chung

Jul 27, 2012, 2:03:19 AM7/27/12
On Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:19:53 PM UTC-7, sihorton wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 July 2012 18:29:54 UTC+2, Martijn wrote:
> &gt; Hi Simon,
> &gt;
> &gt; I still get the same error with that link.
> &gt; But I just downloaded a zip file from:
> &gt; https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/zipball/master
> &gt; In that zip file I can see the installer and that works fine. Thanks!
> &gt;
> &gt; Regards,
> &gt; Martijn
>
> I have updated the installer and it is available from https://github.com/downloads/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/b2g-gaia-desktop.exe which should fix the blob error. There is also a portable version available from https://github.com/downloads/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/b2g-portable.exe

HI Simon!

Thank you for taking the time to test and package a working windows build for desktop. I've heard plenty requests on getting this working, so much appreciated!

Would it be too much trouble for you to add your zip and instructions to the https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Hacking#Running_B2G page? A section on Windows would be perfect, and it would help anyone that we are directing toward getting Windows B2G Desktop builds setup. If you're not comfortable editing the wiki, we'd be happy to do it for you. But it would make the most sense to hear it from you.

Thanks in advance!
Tony

Tony Chung

Jul 27, 2012, 2:03:19 AM7/27/12
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, siho...@gmail.com, maxime....@epistema.com
On Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:19:53 PM UTC-7, sihorton wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 July 2012 18:29:54 UTC+2, Martijn wrote:
> &gt; Hi Simon,
> &gt;
> &gt; I still get the same error with that link.
> &gt; But I just downloaded a zip file from:
> &gt; https://github.com/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/zipball/master
> &gt; In that zip file I can see the installer and that works fine. Thanks!
> &gt;
> &gt; Regards,
> &gt; Martijn
>
> I have updated the installer and it is available from https://github.com/downloads/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/b2g-gaia-desktop.exe which should fix the blob error. There is also a portable version available from https://github.com/downloads/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/b2g-portable.exe

sihorton

Jul 27, 2012, 3:27:22 AM7/27/12
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, maxime....@epistema.com
On Friday, 27 July 2012 08:03:19 UTC+2, Tony Chung wrote:
I have updated the installer and it is available from https://github.com/downloads/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/b2g-gaia-desktop.exe which should fix the blob error. There is also a portable version available from https://github.com/downloads/sihorton/b2g-desktop-profile-installer/b2g-portable.exe

> HI Simon!
>
> Thank you for taking the time to test and package a working windows build for desktop. I&#39;ve heard plenty requests on getting this working, so much appreciated!
>
> Would it be too much trouble for you to add your zip and instructions to the https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Hacking#Running_B2G page? A section on Windows would be perfect, and it would help anyone that we are directing toward getting Windows B2G Desktop builds setup. If you&#39;re not comfortable editing the wiki, we&#39;d be happy to do it for you. But it would make the most sense to hear it from you.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Tony

I love the boot2gecko idea so wanted to make it as easy as possible for windows developers to contribute. I have added a section for windows users to https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Hacking#Running_B2G page and added a link to the desktop builds section.

If anyone has opinions on exactly what to call the installer / start menu group and so on then send me a message. Currently the installers are called b2g-gaia-desktop and b2g-portable. Start menu group is called b2g-gaia-desktop. There is quite a lot of different names: firefox os, gaia, b2g, b2g-desktop so this might be confusing for totally new users.

sihorton

Jul 27, 2012, 3:27:22 AM7/27/12
to mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla...@lists.mozilla.org, maxime....@epistema.com