Where is the announcements page for mozilla India events taking place ?

shirish शिरीष

Jun 20, 2015, 10:15:59 PM6/20/15
to mozilla-india
Dear all,
Where is the announcements page for mozilla India events taking place ?

I searched http://mozillaindia.org/ without getting any 2015 relevant
links except of events which have already taken place.

http://blog.mozillaindia.org/date/2015/06

I also saw the fb.com page to see if any relevant updates have been
posted but was again disappointed as the group for some reason (seems
to be spammers) is a closed group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MozillaIndia/

I also looked at http://events.mozillaindia.org/ as well as
http://blog.mozillaindia.org/category/events but again the search
there proved ineffectual as I'm looking for announcements of events
before they happen.

Can somebody provide a relevant link ?

Another query, if some attempts were made at reaching out people on
various platforms and they were proved to be ineffective, wouldn't it
be more prudent to just retire them and redirect people to more
fresher links and content ?

I would be happy if there is a dedicated announcements page or even an
.ics calendar that I could integrate with my workflow .

Lastly, if I have some technical queries about different mozilla
products at a local/Indian level which is the best place to ask such
queries ?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/ is a below par solution and
community-india is a too generic mailing list to raise those
queries/questions.

Look forward to know more.
--
Regards,
Shirish Agarwal शिरीष अग्रवाल

Akshay S Dinesh

Jun 21, 2015, 12:17:05 AM6/21/15
to shirish शिरीष, mozilla-india
Hi Shirish,

I believe there will be many replies for this. Since I woke up in the
morning, I'll send one :D

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 7:45 AM, shirish शिरीष <shiri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Where is the announcements page for mozilla India events taking place ?
>
> [...]
>
> Can somebody provide a relevant link ?

The devs are working on setting up "vibe" which'll show the upcoming
events. You can see its current state at http://devs.mozillaindia.org/vibe/

I think announcements should also be made on this mailing list and our
official facebook page - but it should really be the organizers of each
event who take interest in announcing their event.

> Another query, if some attempts were made at reaching out people on
> various platforms and they were proved to be ineffective, wouldn't it
> be more prudent to just retire them and redirect people to more
> fresher links and content ?

I'm not answering this question directly. But I wonder, shouldn't our
Mozillians profile have a column called preferred mode of communication?
Or, maybe everyone who are expecting a lot of people to reach out to them
should include it in their bio what mode of communication they prefer and
how soon/often they'll find time to respond.

Also, we should try to avoid one to one messages like plague. Creating a
topic on discourse in the right category with an @mention of the same
person, or a bug with CC/needinfo, or an email with cc to the relevant
mailing list have many advantages in my view:
* It makes the person accountable
* It avoids redundancies - others with the same question get their answer
automatically
* It keeps the community alive :D
* It relieves that sole point of contact from the responsiblity of replying
to each and every query. For example, if someone else is capable of and
have time to send a more detailed/accurate response, it's better. This also
means that we get responses sooner. For, some community members are in a
workweek this week and if you were to send them an email they wouldn't get
the time to respond; and later they'll have a lot of emails in their inbox.
But rather, if only the very private/personal messages are sent to an
individual, they'll have very less messages to respond to, and very few
which could have been answered by everyone.
Let's work together by sharing responsibilities rather than piling it all
up on single points.

I request all task forces to set up some kind of a group (a mailing list, a
discourse category, an IRC channel) if they don't already have one and add
the info to the relevant wiki page.

Also, if you find a stale link or content anywhere, I request that you
notify the documentation task force or maybe even fix them up yourself.

> Lastly, if I have some technical queries about different mozilla
> products at a local/Indian level which is the best place to ask such
> queries ?

There's community-india-dev mailing list. Also #india channel on IRC is
mostly filled by devs only :D

Public discussion lover,
Akshay

--
Akshay S Dinesh
https://mozillians.org/u/asdofindia

Akshay S Dinesh

Jun 21, 2015, 12:34:11 AM6/21/15
to shirish शिरीष, mozilla-india

> Another query, if some attempts were made at reaching out people on
> various platforms and they were proved to be ineffective, wouldn't it
> be more prudent to just retire them and redirect people to more
> fresher links and content ?

I understand I've totally misread this question. (Fragmentation of groups
is really an issue :P)