Update about the Mozilla India community restructuring

Subhashish Panigrahi

Mar 30, 2017, 1:26:31 PM3/30/17
to community-india, mozill...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mozillians,

It has been long since the provisional meta team has shared any updates
with you. While I apologize on behalf of the team for the long delay, I am
writing to all of you to share a few updates. We had a remote meeting
recently and there are a few things we request you to share your inputs on.

We had identified a few areas of improvement and are proposing some
possible ways to better them:

1. The restructuring process has been long for multiple reasons, and we
want to bring this to an end and move ahead with some activities.

2. Some of the functional and/or focus teams no longer seem to be valid.
The earlier proposed restructured team functions need to be simplified to
many common Mozillians without changing much of the structure. To simplify
this we are thinking of dividing all the activities into three major areas
(see the next section “In details” for details):
a) Build the web - Technical side of Mozilla for technical contributors
b) Teach the Web - Web Literacy
c) Protect the Web - Advocacy
3. The current provisional meta team needs to graduate to an actual meta
team. While some team members will remain part of the new meta team, other
Mozillians from India that are currently not part of the team can sign up
here (https://goo.gl/forms/Hg0slPgCG6g64KtF3)

4. The current wiki for the restructuring process looks less actionable,
lack in design perspectives, and is unable to activate anyone new and needs
simplification and a new platform. At the same time, our website at
mozillaindia.org has slowly become outdated. To solve both these at once,
we can have a new version of our website with the simplified structure as
the face of it. Akshay has already started a beta version of this at
http://beta.mozillaindia.org (please check https://web.archive.org/web/20
170329173017/http://beta.mozillaindia.org/ if the previous link is not
working)
* There might be many Mozillians that are still not aware about the new
structure and what role they can play in it. The meta team will meet at
least once in a month, and will be available on a public office hour so
that anyone can join and ask questions and learn how the community is going
ahead

* There is no regular communications or updates from the Meta team. A brief
monthly newsletter will be compiled by the meta team and will be published
on the Mozilla India portal, and will be reposted on Discourse and mailing
list. The newsletter will be collaboratively created by the community
and/or the larger community will be involved in harvesting the news items.

* Mozilla India blogs will be reposted on Discourse and the India community
mailing list.

In details:

Simplification of the restructured community:

1. Build the Web - Technical Side of Mozilla

Goal: Get technical people working on Mozilla stuff.

Method: 1. Do technical things yourself 2. Search out technical people to
do technical things.

* [medium] MDN - documentation - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/

* [medium] Add Ons - webextension events - developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Ad
d-ons/WebExtensions

* [expert] Rust/Servo - talk about rust - rust-lang repo on github -
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust

* [medium] Web VR - building web vr experiences - https://aframe.io/

* [medium] Campus Clubs - students into open source -
campus.mozilla.community

* [medium] L10N - translation - https://l10n.mozilla.org/

* [non-technical] Web Compat - https://wiki.mozilla.org/Compatibility

2. Teach the Web - Web Literacy

-

[easy] Web Literacy - run teaching events or start Web Literacy Mozilla
Clubs - learning.mozilla.org, learning.mozilla.org/en-US/clubs

3. Protect the Web - Advocacy

-

Privacy Task Force - teach about privacy

This mail is collaboratively written by the Mozilla India Provisional Meta
team. Team members are (alphabetically) Akshay S Dinesh, Deepak Upendra,
Dyvik Chenna, Prathamesh Chavan, Subhashish Panigrahi (Staff, MoCo),
Sumanth Damarla and Vnisha Srivastav.

We thank George Roter (Staff, MoCo), Kaustav Das Modak, Soumya Deb and
Vineel Reddy Pindi who have been part of this team in the past, have helped
build the foundation, and have guided.

Thank you,
Subhashish Panigrahi
Asia Community Catalyzer
Community Development, Open Innovation, Mozilla
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Participation | @subhapa
PGP fingerprint: 4591DF053A8F6B9F9AA246432222ECF1DDFEDD37

viswaprasath

Apr 3, 2017, 9:05:30 AM4/3/17
to Subhashish Panigrahi, community-india, mozill...@googlegroups.com
Nice to know team.

Just would like to know the source code repo. Planning to reuse for our
Regional Website.

Thank you

Web is open so Code is poetry
http://iamvp7.github.io/