Mozilla India Community Meetup - 2016

Faisal Aziz

Jun 29, 2016, 2:49:57 PM6/29/16
to community-india, George Roter, shahidfarooqui, Umesh agarwal
Dear Community India,

We are glad to inform you that the Participation Team & Indian Reps Council
members are co-hosting a Mozilla India Community Meetup in August 2016.
This year we are striving to set a direction and vision for the Indian
community, and empower community members to work together toward a common
set of goals. You can read some more context for this here
<https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/mozilla-india-community-refresh-a-take-from-george-discussion/9074>
.

To ensure success for our community, we have decided to split this meetup
into two phases -- a planning phase and the building/aligning phase.

The first phase involves a Planning Meetup where we have invited a limited
set of people from different sub-communities based on gender diversity,
regional representation, activities and leadership in the community. This
relatively small team (~25 people) is responsible for developing options
for the direction, vision, strategy and roadmap of the Mozilla India
community, and undertaking detailed planning of the second phase that
involves the Mozilla India Community Meetup in August 2016.

We understand that despite our best efforts to include all regional
communities from India and ensure diverse and equal participation, due to
limited resources not all regions from Mozilla India will be represented.
We would like to assure the community that the regions left out will have a
chance to contribute ideas in the Mozilla India Community Meetup in August
2016.

The second phase will be the Mozilla India Community Meetup in August 2016
-- we expect roughly 80-120 will attend this larger gathering. The
selection and invitation process for this large community meetup will be
developed in phase 1. The specific goals and content for this will also be
developed in phase 1, but we already anticipate the outcomes of this meetup
to be about co-creating a direction, vision, operating model/structure and
common goals for the Mozilla India community.

Below are the latest logistical updates:

Venue, Date & Time

Event

Date

Venue

Host

No.of attendees

Planning Meetup

9th-10th July

C-DAC

Pune

~25

Main Meetup

TBD - August

TBD

Pune

TBD (likely 80-120)

Planning Meetup Agenda: [1]

If you have any suggestion/feedback on agenda then please send an email to
us.

Planning Meetup Participants: [2]

People from different sub communities based on gender diversity, regional
representation, activities and leadership in community. Selection has been
made by Indian Reps Council and Participation Team. Also you might be
interested to connect with nearest participant attending planning meetup to
share your ideas and suggestions.

Contacts:

You can reach Umesh Agarwal [umesh.a...@gmail.com], Faisal Aziz [
faisala...@gmail.com ], Shahid Farooqui [shahidf...@gmail.com] for
any queries or suggestions.

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/India/Mozilla_India_Planning_Meet-up_2016

[2] http://bit.ly/290cl0j

*Faisal Aziz <https://reps.mozilla.org/u/FaisalAziz/>*
Mozilla Reps Council
Contact: +917746804875
Twitter: @faisalazizindia
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/faisalmozilla

Balaji Ravichandran

Jun 29, 2016, 2:54:47 PM6/29/16
to Faisal Aziz, George Roter, community-india, shahidfarooqui, Umesh agarwal
Hi,

I have been active in the state of Tamilnadu for the past two years in the
scope of Free and Open Source software and I think we can discuss many
things upon improving and linking the community in Tamilnadu.

Is there any possibility for me to attend the meeting?

I would be happy If I could get a chance or so.

Thank You!

Regards,
Balaji Ravichandran ( பாலாஜி ) ,
Volunteer at Free Software Foundation - Tamilnadu,
Mobile : 9790528505
My Blog - balogic.wordpress.com

viswaprasath

Jun 29, 2016, 3:01:10 PM6/29/16
to Balaji Ravichandran, George Roter, community-india
Hi Balaji Ravichandran,

Let me know how can I help you. Will be happy to discuss with you.
You can also mail to Tamilnadu mailing list Mozillians Tamilnadu <
Mozill...@googlegroups.com>

We are actively concentrating on L10N, SUMO, QA and Add-ons with these 4
areas in mind we are conducting Weeks of Contribution.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:24 AM, Balaji Ravichandran <rbala...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Web is open so Code is poetry
http://iamvp7.github.io/

Balaji Ravichandran

Jun 29, 2016, 3:03:37 PM6/29/16
to viswaprasath, George Roter, community-india
Is there any possibility for me to be added to the Tamilnadu mailing list?
Or Is it to be done manually by list moderators?

Md. Shahbaz Alam

Jun 29, 2016, 6:01:33 PM6/29/16
to faisala...@gmail.com, gro...@mozilla.com, communi...@lists.mozilla.org, shahidf...@gmail.com, umesh.a...@gmail.com
Hi,
I am an active mozilla contributor in the Mozilla Community Rajasthan for
the past two years and I think we can discuss on topics like promoting
privacy and security on campuses as well as schools.And what are the best
practice one should adopt while browsing on the internet.Also, how can we
increase the number of contributors in our community

I have actively participated in the Privacy Campaign as well as in
TakeBackTheWeb Campaign. I would love to share my experience with other
community members and receive the same from them.

Is there any possibility for me to attend this meeting ?

Cheers,
Shahbaz ,
Mozillian,Evangelist,AppDev & Codebase Mentor @ MCR

Akshay S Dinesh

Jun 29, 2016, 8:00:21 PM6/29/16
to Faisal Aziz, community-india, George Roter, shahidfarooqui, Umesh agarwal
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 00:20, Faisal Aziz <faisala...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> The first phase involves a Planning Meetup where we have invited a limited
> set of people from different sub-communities based on gender diversity,
> regional representation, activities and leadership in the community. This
> relatively small team (~25 people) is responsible for developing options
> for the direction, vision, strategy and roadmap of the Mozilla India
> community, and undertaking detailed planning of the second phase that
> involves the Mozilla India Community Meetup in August 2016.
>
> [...]
> selection and invitation process for this large community meetup will be
> developed in phase 1. The specific goals and content for this will also be
> developed in phase 1, but we already anticipate the outcomes of this meetup
> to be about co-creating a direction, vision, operating model/structure and
> common goals for the Mozilla India community.

George had recommended that "the content be constructed and facilitated by
someone other than the participants of this gathering (including the
Convening Group). One of our commitments from the Participation Team would
be to help find an India-based consultant who could take on this
facilitation, or to have our team take this on directly."

Who is this constructor/facilitator?

Also, like I asked in the other thread, can there be some more clarity on
these two schedule Items:
"Task Force or Working Groups. Why? How?"
"Agenda creation using (1)."

Rabimba Karanjai

Jun 30, 2016, 12:24:30 PM6/30/16
Why these discussions are not happening in discourse? If we really wanted to address or do any discussion. i see that empty.

Akshay S Dinesh

Jun 30, 2016, 12:26:39 PM6/30/16
to Rabimba Karanjai, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm just moving with the flow.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 21:55 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Why these discussions are not happening in discourse? If we really wanted
> to address or do any discussion. i see that empty.

Rabimba Karanjai

Jun 30, 2016, 12:27:21 PM6/30/16
to Akshay S Dinesh, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
Isn’t that exactly the problem with any community

wrote:

> Why these discussions are not happening in discourse? If we really wanted
> to address or do any discussion. i see that empty.

Akshay S Dinesh

Jun 30, 2016, 12:28:19 PM6/30/16
to Rabimba Karanjai, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm not sure what you mean there. Flow is the problem?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 21:57 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Isn’t that exactly the problem with any community
>

> On June 30, 2016 at 11:26:31 AM, Akshay S Dinesh (asdof...@gmail.com)
> wrote:
>
> I'm just moving with the flow.
>
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 21:55 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>

Rabimba Karanjai

Jun 30, 2016, 12:31:34 PM6/30/16
to Akshay S Dinesh, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
Moving with the flow is the problem. We get restricted in our views with
the fact that “everyone is doing that, so I should do that too”.
But keeping the philosophical and mostly useless discussion apart what I
wanted to emphasize that if we wanted to have discussion (like the question
you had) and anything on George’s comment. Discourse is the place to have
that conversation.

I see meetups being organized for that, but not even 1 comment or
discussion somewhere which takes 3 mins to post a comment and not 3 months
to organize and also globally inclusive (after all its internet0)

wrote:

> Isn’t that exactly the problem with any community
>

> On June 30, 2016 at 11:26:31 AM, Akshay S Dinesh (asdof...@gmail.com)
> wrote:
>
> I'm just moving with the flow.
>
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 21:55 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>

Akshay S Dinesh

Jun 30, 2016, 12:34:27 PM6/30/16

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 22:01 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Moving with the flow is the problem. We get restricted in our views with
> the fact that “everyone is doing that, so I should do that too”.
> But keeping the philosophical and mostly useless discussion apart what I
> wanted to emphasize that if we wanted to have discussion (like the question
> you had) and anything on George’s comment. Discourse is the place to have
> that conversation.
>
> I see meetups being organized for that, but not even 1 comment or
> discussion somewhere which takes 3 mins to post a comment and not 3 months
> to organize and also globally inclusive (after all its internet0)
>
> On June 30, 2016 at 11:28:11 AM, Akshay S Dinesh (asdof...@gmail.com)
> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what you mean there. Flow is the problem?
>
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 21:57 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Isn’t that exactly the problem with any community
>>

>> On June 30, 2016 at 11:26:31 AM, Akshay S Dinesh (asdof...@gmail.com)
>> wrote:
>>
>> I'm just moving with the flow.
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 21:55 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>

Rabimba Karanjai

Jun 30, 2016, 12:39:55 PM6/30/16
to Akshay S Dinesh, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
That's specific to that agenda I guess(not involved so not in my scope). My
suggestion was for the whole topic/ visit.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM Akshay S Dinesh <asdof...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "If you have any suggestion/feedback on agenda then please send an email
> to us."
>
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 22:01 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Moving with the flow is the problem. We get restricted in our views with
>> the fact that “everyone is doing that, so I should do that too”.
>> But keeping the philosophical and mostly useless discussion apart what I
>> wanted to emphasize that if we wanted to have discussion (like the question
>> you had) and anything on George’s comment. Discourse is the place to have
>> that conversation.
>>
>> I see meetups being organized for that, but not even 1 comment or
>> discussion somewhere which takes 3 mins to post a comment and not 3 months
>> to organize and also globally inclusive (after all its internet0)
>>
>> On June 30, 2016 at 11:28:11 AM, Akshay S Dinesh (asdof...@gmail.com)
>> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean there. Flow is the problem?
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 21:57 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Isn’t that exactly the problem with any community
>>>

>>> On June 30, 2016 at 11:26:31 AM, Akshay S Dinesh (asdof...@gmail.com)
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm just moving with the flow.
>>>
>>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 21:55 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>

Akshay S Dinesh

Jun 30, 2016, 12:41:46 PM6/30/16
to Rabimba Karanjai, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
Well, what do you suggest we discuss?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 22:09 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>

Rabimba Karanjai

Jun 30, 2016, 1:03:47 PM6/30/16
to Akshay S Dinesh, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
The points George mentioned?
I guess he was pretty clear on what should be discussed with bulleted
points in his mail.

On June 30, 2016 at 11:41:37 AM, Akshay S Dinesh (asdof...@gmail.com)

Prathamesh Chavan

Jun 30, 2016, 1:35:46 PM6/30/16
to Rabimba Karanjai, community-india, Akshay S Dinesh
I think we can discuss that in the Mozilla India community meetup rather
than taking such issues on discourse. I think this is the community's
internal matter and making it might not be the solution. Also that won't
help and ultimately will land up as just another discourse thread.

Prathamesh Chavan

Jun 30, 2016, 1:36:47 PM6/30/16
to Rabimba Karanjai, community-india, Akshay S Dinesh
I think we can discuss that in the Mozilla India community meetup rather
than taking such issues on discourse. I think this is the community's
internal matter and making it global might not be the solution. Also that

Rabimba Karanjai

Jun 30, 2016, 1:37:46 PM6/30/16
to Prathamesh Chavan, George Roter, community-india, Akshay S Dinesh
The suggestion to post it in Discourse was also from George. And when we
discuss about the well being of a whole community, don’t think that’s
internal anymore. Each community can learn from hardship of others.

ONLY if we share.

CC’ing George in this

On June 30, 2016 at 12:35:38 PM, Prathamesh Chavan (
musicandp...@gmail.com) wrote:

I think we can discuss that in the Mozilla India community meetup rather
than taking such issues on discourse. I think this is the community's
internal matter and making it might not be the solution. Also that won't

Akshay S Dinesh

Jun 30, 2016, 1:47:21 PM6/30/16
to Rabimba Karanjai, Prathamesh Chavan, George Roter, community-india
It's more about what to discuss than about where/how to discuss.

George summarized it correctly - India community is broken. Now what do we
discuss about it? Everyone knows our community is broken.

Maybe we can discuss on why it is broken. But it is such a tough question
that it is above discussing. (Compare this with, "why is Firefox's
marketshare decreasing?" How do you answer that?).

We could probably discuss a few general solutions that might work even
without identifying what our problem is. Like, having vision, goals,
structure and work processes. Or working out in the open. But we had
similar discussions in past community meetup(s) too. So what will suddenly
change?

I also think that the dysfunction in our community is a part of a larger
trend throughout mozilla of shifting goals and flux. I think that's why
George said in his mail

Participation Team (along with Reps Council) needs to be:
1. Providing clarity on where Mozilla is going
2. Articulating contribution/participation goals and areas from across
Mozilla
3. A set of well supported participation programs

As far as I'm concerned, any attempt to fix Mozilla India should start from
those points.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 23:07 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>

Rabimba Karanjai

Jun 30, 2016, 2:13:29 PM6/30/16
to Akshay S Dinesh, Prathamesh Chavan, George Roter, community-india
Why you can’t discuss what you are saying here (in a closed group to a very
limited audience) to a more inclusive community?

It's more about what to discuss than about where/how to discuss.

I disagree. What you discuss takes a very very different meaning and
provides different outcome based on where you are discussing it. If your
audience doesn't even want to engage. The discussion is mute. Whereas if
the audience is diverse and can give different inputs. its much more useful.

I am not going to discuss any of the other points you have in the mail here
because I really think it is a very restricted scope to discuss it here.
Just copy paste this same thing in discourse, and I will post my inputs as
well as well as others I hope.

On June 30, 2016 at 12:47:12 PM, Akshay S Dinesh (asdof...@gmail.com)

Akshay S Dinesh

Jun 30, 2016, 2:23:03 PM6/30/16
to Rabimba Karanjai, Prathamesh Chavan, George Roter, community-india
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 23:43 Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Why you can’t discuss what you are saying here (in a closed group to a
> very limited audience) to a more inclusive community?

Not actually a closed group, but limited audience yes.

> It's more about what to discuss than about where/how to discuss.
>

> I disagree. What you discuss takes a very very different meaning and
> provides different outcome based on where you are discussing it. If your
> audience doesn't even want to engage. The discussion is mute. Whereas if
> the audience is diverse and can give different inputs. its much more useful.

Well, if you think discourse is going to get more engagement, so be it.

> I am not going to discuss any of the other points you have in the mail
> here because I really think it is a very restricted scope to discuss it
> here.
> Just copy paste this same thing in discourse, and I will post my inputs as
> well as well as others I hope.

https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/mozilla-india-community-refresh-a-take-from-george-discussion/9074/3?u=asdofindia

Benjamin Jones

Jul 4, 2016, 10:12:35 AM7/4/16