Round-table discussion on Aadhar, right to privacy and data protection [Mozilla Policy Advocacy]

Abhiram Ravikumar

Aug 28, 2017, 11:28:18 AM8/28/17
to community-india, vigneshwer dhinakaran, Anivar Aravind, ankit gadgil
Hello there Mozilla India!

It's been a long time since I've written to the community mailing list as a
whole and that was mostly because there was no one common train of thought
that could affect us all.

Well, this is definitely one.

I'm reaching out on behalf of Mozilla's Open Policy & Advocacy group
<https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/>which is hosting a discussion on the
topics of right to privacy, Aadhar and data protection.

Mozilla has been increasingly focused on Aadhaar: Mozilla's Executive
Chairwoman Mitchel Baker and Mozilla Community Rep Ankit Gadgil co-wrote an
op-ed(https://goo.gl/q1pfMQ) on Aadhaar that appeared in the Business
Standard in May and we're now gearing up for greater policy engagement and
a possible advocacy campaign. More recently Mozilla has welcomed
<https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2017/08/24/mozilla-applauds-india-supreme-courts-decision-upholding-privacy-fundamental-right/>the
Supreme Court's ruling with regard to right to privacy as a fundamental
right. Jochai Ben-Avie, Senior Global Policy Manager, Mozilla Corporation
with his team members Peter and Richita are visiting India and would take
part in these discussions at Bangalore, Delhi and Mumbai.

The Bangalore event is on 2nd of September, Saturday at Bangalore. If
you're interested to join us, register here
<https://goo.gl/forms/hiZsfj1VjykMsCPI3> and drop by.

We welcome your questions and you can get in touch with Anivar, Vigneshwer
or myself.

With the whole of India looking forward to the discussions on Aadhar and
data protection, it us our responsibility to be informed and make others
around us aware.

Looking forward,
Abhiram