Licensing of Internet services. Net Neutrality in India

PMJ Creations

Mar 29, 2015, 1:54:49 PM3/29/15
to community-india, ankit gadgil, Vineel R. Pindi, Diwanshi Pandey, meta...@yahoo.com, mayurp...@gmail.com
Hi mozillians,

As we all know Mozilla is fighting for the Net Neutrality and keep the
Internet accessible to all.
We have partnered with organizations like The Day We Fight Back
<https://thedaywefightback.org/>, we have initiated a massive petition
campaign
<https://sendto.mozilla.org/page/s/FCCvote-net-neutrality?ref=20150205Advocacy_NN&utm_campaign=20150205Advocacy_NN&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=Firefox_social>
,
we have launched Stop Watching Us <http://optin.stopwatching.us/>, created
tools like Lightbeam <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/lightbeam/>, and very
recently, we launched Mozilla Privacy Teaching Task Force
<https://blog.mozilla.org/privacy/2015/03/29/mozilla-privacy-teaching-task-force/>
.

I sincerely, appreciate what our Pune community doing to protect the
Internet.

Recently, Vineel shared this link
<http://www.medianama.com/2015/03/223-should-india-have-licensing-of-internet-services-net-neutrality-trai-wants-your-views/>
with us (Social Media and Creative Team of Mozilla India). This article
explains the situation well.
I am requesting you all to read the article carefully.

Now, I would like to discuss with you all about this licensing of Internet
service issues and TRAI's stands on this.
Being a highly active Mozilla community, how we can fight for the Net
Neutrality in our country?
How we can effectively make a partnership with organizations like FSMK
<http://beta.fsmk.org/>?
What is the scope of making/having a dedicated volunteers for helping us
with legal issues?
How we can get support from Mozilla's Legal, Privacy and Brand Engagement
Team?

There are many more questions. Let's discuss.

Regards,

Jafar Muhammed
Mozillian <http://mozillians.org/en-US/u/pmjcreations/>

Mayur Patil

Mar 29, 2015, 3:31:20 PM3/29/15
to Jafar Muhammed, community-india, Ankit Mehta SICSR, Vineel R. Pindi, ankit gadgil, Diwanshi Pandey
Hello Jafar!

Thank you for bringing this topic up. Yes actually we need a online army to
fight for Net Neutrality in India.
We will need support from all the community members .
And yes we need to partner with other communities too.
So let's work on it.

Diwanshi Pandey

Mar 30, 2015, 1:40:32 AM3/30/15
to Mayur Patil, Jafar Muhammed, community-india, Ankit Mehta SICSR, Vineel R. Pindi, ankit gadgil
Hi Jafar,

Thanks for the appreciation.

An official announcement on the Privacy task force is still to be reviewed
by the advocacy team.
Also a participation plan where all who are interested in this field can be
a part of this task force is under way.

Stay tuned for an update and announcement by the Mozilla advocacy and
privacy team.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 1:01 AM, Mayur Patil <mayurp...@gmail.com>
wrote:
--

*Regards,*
*Diwanshi Pandey*

Rabimba Karanjai

Mar 31, 2015, 1:20:35 PM3/31/15
You brought up a very serious topic. And this will affect everyone in India.
As I can see it has been explained very neatly on how it is going to affect everyone and what we can do here http://netneutrality.in/

But I see very less participation in this forum. Once this law/rule ahs been passed in India there will be no going back.

Akshay Tiwari

Apr 10, 2015, 3:00:06 AM4/10/15
to Rabimba Karanjai, communi...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone,

First of all Props to Jafar for bringing this topic out. I've had a similar
feeling of bringing Mozilla India into Net neutrality scenario existing in
our Country at present.

I'll list out few of my thoughts on this issue.
*There are already these kind of graphics
<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.726618947458774.1073741846.324410884346251&type=1>
in the internet which are going viral all across the country. This is how
people get to know what is what. We can go out with some innovative
graphics and let the picture speak the issue.
* Mozilla India can actually involve all Mozillians and FSA's across the
country to urge on this issue. mail templates can be given out to
everyone.
*We can actually start campaign on this issue offline as well. As it is
already a hot topic online.
*Give away Open badges to the contributors.

I had a chat with Vineel and i think it shall be great to start an all
India campaign.

What do you all think?

P.S - I'd be happy to be part of it.

Cheers,
Akshay

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>

Achyuth kp

Apr 10, 2015, 4:11:11 AM4/10/15
to Akshay Tiwari, communi...@lists.mozilla.org, Rabimba Karanjai
Hey All,

Glad that this topic has been brought up, better late than never. I agree
with Akshay that we need to bring this to the people not just through
social media but bring it up offline as well.

As you all know, most of the Mozilla India community folks and other people
who are and have slowly become aware of the situation are sharing it over
FB, Twitter and other Social networks. But clearly there are a lot of
people who still think that this law will not affect them or their lives.

I can take my own relatives for an example, it took me quite some time to
make them understand the gravity of the situation, cause they were quite
clueless about what Net Neutrality is and assumed its something the 'kids
these days' are sharing over the internet.
My point is, we need more people to get involved in the campaign and we
definitely need more parents/relatives to understand what's going on.
Cause, at the end of the day, if this law is up then we are in for big
trouble.

Not sure how many of you must've seen this but Scrollback's Co-Founder came
up with this great explanation:
http://aravindet.svbtle.com/appu-and-the-bus-operators

So on that note, I hope we can start off with an all India campaign for
this! :)

Cheers.

Regards
Achyuth K.P.
Mozilla Rep - India <https://reps.mozilla.org/u/achyuthkp/>
Webmaker Super Mentor
Mozilla India

Computer Science Engineering Undergraduate
Sathyabama University

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Akshay Tiwari <akshayti...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> First of all Props to Jafar for bringing this topic out. I've had a similar
> feeling of bringing Mozilla India into Net neutrality scenario existing in
> our Country at present.
>
> I'll list out few of my thoughts on this issue.
> *There are already these kind of graphics
> <
> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.726618947458774.1073741846.324410884346251&type=1
> >
> in the internet which are going viral all across the country. This is how
> people get to know what is what. We can go out with some innovative
> graphics and let the picture speak the issue.
> * Mozilla India can actually involve all Mozillians and FSA's across the
> country to urge on this issue. mail templates can be given out to
> everyone.
> *We can actually start campaign on this issue offline as well. As it is
> already a hot topic online.
> *Give away Open badges to the contributors.
>
> I had a chat with Vineel and i think it shall be great to start an all
> India campaign.
>
> What do you all think?
>
> P.S - I'd be happy to be part of it.
>
> Cheers,
> Akshay
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com

Rabimba Karanjai

Apr 10, 2015, 11:25:36 AM4/10/15
Everyone,

If we are going to do something then better do it right NOW!

Hence I think instead of issuing badges/creating graphics for this 14 days. Just let people know the consequences of what this law will mean to them.
I for myself don't need any incentive to keep the internet neutral when it comes to the campaign. And I guess that should be true for most of the people. But the more people know about it (in the time frame of course) the more successful it should be (well only knowing doesn't do the trick, they probably need to let their views known too).

Akshay S Dinesh

Apr 14, 2015, 1:36:39 AM4/14/15
to Rabimba Karanjai, community-india
Conversation log from #india today morning.

```
<asdofindia>
good morning #india
With reference to the Net Neutrality campaign proposed in the mailing list,
there's a need for urgent community participation and decision making.
The policy+advocacy review of our post about it:
http://blog.mozillaindia.org/1231 ended up with the note that Mozilla
currently doesn't have a clear stance about zero-rating and that the OTT
paper does not appear to be "heavily biased".
Despite my best open reading, I can't find that OTT paper not biased.
I am forced to think that the policy team doesn't understand the Indian
context.
In that regard, a discussion has been started here:
https://discourse.mozilla-advocacy.org/t/net-neutrality-in-india-31-march-2015/
Please contribute your stories with the Indian experience
Now, IMPORTANT PART. We need to go ahead with the campaign to
#FightForTheNet and #SaveTheInternet . We can't wait till policy issues are
resolved. Indecision is a decision.
I hear that we've formed an advocacy team for India. Your input is valuable
here.
We should use the discretionary power of the community and launch the
campaign. Please read this call to action
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/NN-IN-drafts
Please help us form a decision by contributing to this conversation right
here, right now :P
```

Can't we move quicker in reaching a conclusion about what Mozilla India is
doing?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 8:55 PM, Rabimba Karanjai <karanj...@gmail.com>