Are Indian FOSS communities closed-source ?

shirish शिरीष

Jun 22, 2015, 7:17:15 AM6/22/15
to mozilla-india
Hi all,
Had put https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2015/06/22/indian-foss-communities-closed-source/

As a somewhat one of the bigger communities, what do people in
mozilla-india think ?

Feedback welcome either here or there, doesn't matter.
--
Regards,
Shirish Agarwal शिरीष अग्रवाल

shirish शिरीष

Jun 22, 2015, 11:26:47 AM6/22/15
to mozilla-india, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
at bottom :-

On 6/22/15, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 4:47 PM, shirish शिरीष <shiri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Had put
>> https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2015/06/22/indian-foss-communities-closed-source/
>>
>> As a somewhat one of the bigger communities, what do people in
>> mozilla-india think ?
>
> Unless you put forward specific illustrative examples or, anecdotes
> around the anti-patterns, it is difficult to fathom what your
> hypothesis is.
>

> --
> sankarshan mukhopadhyay
> <https://about.me/sankarshan.mukhopadhyay>

Hi all,

I didn't want to put up any illustrative examples or anecdotes as that
can easily be misread as pointing fingers at people, I have made the
blog a bit more exhaustive. The end-user file a bug issue happened
during couple of mozilla meet-ups but the behaviour shared there is
just limited to mozilla per-se but a behaviour seen in other
communities as well.

Also same/similar thing I encountered as a resistance when I proposed
to have a neutral event site at the recently concluded Mozilla Pune
community meetup. I have already expanded and shared the idea on the
blog itself could not understand Mozilla community's reluctance for
the same. Think of it simply this way, any app. which comes to the
market either open or closed-source would more often than not be a web
app. so it's in Mozilla's interest to make sure that the FOSS startup
ecosystem as well as users, potential partners, stakeholders, etc.
both at Pune level as well as Indian level are able to become more
mature.

While some of us have this arbitration of knowledge about events and
the potentialities it also prevents the community from becoming more
mature. I don't think there is even one foss event site even on the
national level that comes to my mind where I can safely say it would
have most of the foss events which are taking place in India.

As shared, all feedback is welcome.