No more unsigned add-ons? Has Mozilla lost their mind?

trainman261

Aug 3, 2016, 10:52:07 AM8/3/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
While browsing the Gizmo's Freeware forum this morning, I read about Firefox 48... and that you can't install unsigned add-ons anymore, WITH NO WAY TO BYPASS IT. What? Has Mozilla gone completely bonkers? Mozilla, that keeps on talking about open systems, the open web, has now closed their web browser. This is insanely stupid at best. This is one of the main reasons I was using firefox. It's my system, I should have control over what can be on it, not some organization. There's a reason I don't use Apple devices, and there's a reason I stopped using Chrome when it stopped accepting extensions not in the Chrome Web Store. I can understand why unsigned extensions could be disabled by default, I can understand that. But the fact that there is no way to enable unsigned extensions is simply ludicrous. I use several of them and have no reason to stop using them, but at this point, I may well just stop using Firefox.
Mozilla, I am extremely disappointed.

rajpau...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2016, 1:52:44 PM8/3/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
I hope someone from Mozilla is reading because I need to be able to use unsigned addons but I don't want to deal with the instability of using nightly or developer builds. I'm not an addon developer, but I have a few addons that I crack open and tweak to customize a bit. Now they can't load in 48!!

There's no good reason for not having a way to bypass this requirement.

WaltS48

Aug 3, 2016, 3:42:52 PM8/3/16
On 08/03/2016 01:24 PM, rajpau...@gmail.com wrote:
> I hope someone from Mozilla is reading because I need to be able to use unsigned addons but I don't want to deal with the instability of using nightly or developer builds. I'm not an addon developer, but I have a few addons that I crack open and tweak to customize a bit. Now they can't load in 48!!
>
> There's no good reason for not having a way to bypass this requirement.

If you crack them open and tweak them, submit them to Mozilla for signing.

I believe that was documented back when this was first proposed.

<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing#FAQ>

You also have the option of using an unbranded build or the current ESR.

Three Rivers Regatta <http://yougottaregatta.com/>
Little Italy Days <http://littleitalydays.com/>
Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival <http://pittsburghrenfest.com/>
Britsburgh <http://bacpgh.com/our-programs/events/britsburgh/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

hendrik....@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2016, 5:49:54 AM8/4/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Sooo... Firefox 48 is released, our internal extension (never meant to be published or leaving our network in any way) stopped working... what is the proposed fix? The blog announcement mentioned a third option:

> For extensions that will never be publicly distributed and will never leave an internal network, there will be a third option. We’ll have more details available on this in the near future.

What is this option? We really would like to run our extension again. Or do we have to stay on outdated browser versions until "near future"?

Jorge Villalobos

Aug 4, 2016, 10:12:40 AM8/4/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Your options:

1) Sign it as an unlisted add-on:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Distribution

2) Use Developer Edition, Nightly, or ESR.

3) Use the unbranded builds for beta or release.

4) If it's restartless, load as a temporary add-on in about:debugging
(this is meant for testing and development, not permanent installation).

Jorge

The Wanderer

Aug 4, 2016, 10:40:40 AM8/4/16

On 2016-08-04 at 10:12, Jorge Villalobos wrote:

> On 8/4/16 12:54 AM, hendrik....@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Sooo... Firefox 48 is released, our internal extension (never
>> meant to be published or leaving our network in any way) stopped
>> working... what is the proposed fix? The blog announcement
>> mentioned a third option:
>>
>>> For extensions that will never be publicly distributed and
>>> will never leave an internal network, there will be a third
>>> option. We’ll have more details available on this in the near
>>> future.
>>
>> What is this option? We really would like to run our extension
>> again. Or do we have to stay on outdated browser versions until
>> "near future"?
>
> Your options:
>
> 1) Sign it as an unlisted add-on:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Distribution

I presume you're listing that one only for the sake of completeness,
because that does not fit the criterion "will never leave an internal
network"; submitting an add-on for signing, even as unlisted, involves
sending it outside of the internal network.

> 2) Use Developer Edition, Nightly, or ESR.

While I do recommend using the ESR exclusively for everyone, others may
consider doing so to constitute "staying on outdated browser versions".
And of course the other two are not exactly suited for broad
ordinary-users deployment.

> 3) Use the unbranded builds for beta or release.

For people who can't use or aren't comfortable with the ESR, this is
really the only option, though for environments which do want
auto-updating the solution which was chosen for bug 1290548 leaves this
non-viable at the moment.

- --
The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

neo...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2016, 4:03:59 PM8/4/16
On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 7:40:40 AM UTC-7, The Wanderer wrote:
> >> Sooo... Firefox 48 is released, our internal extension (never
> >> meant to be published or leaving our network in any way) stopped
> >> working... what is the proposed fix? The blog announcement
> >> mentioned a third option:

> >> What is this option? We really would like to run our extension
> >> again. Or do we have to stay on outdated browser versions until
> >> "near future"?

I'm in the same boat as The Wanderer. We have an internal add-on with confidential information that I am legally not allowed to send outside of our network. Internal users are not going to be happy with running dev or nightly, and I shutter to think how out of date they'll get if we use unbranded if it's not going to auto update.

Emiliano Heyns

Aug 4, 2016, 8:10:12 PM8/4/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Unbranded is also only available in English, I think, so that's something to take into account. The best temporary option would be ESR I guess, but even that is going to run out when the new ESR drops.

Dan Stillman

Aug 4, 2016, 8:55:28 PM8/4/16
On 8/4/16 8:10 PM, Emiliano Heyns wrote:
> Unbranded is also only available in English, I think, so that's something to take into account.

You can install other language packs into the unbranded build,
supposedly. But still pretty useless if it doesn't auto-update.

WaltS48

Aug 4, 2016, 9:20:00 PM8/4/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Can't download the next unbranded version and install it in place of the
current if it doesn't? Then again in six weeks it might auto-update.

I have to do that with the SeaMonkey Nightly everyday because it doesn't
auto update for me on Linux.

Dan Stillman

Aug 4, 2016, 9:33:24 PM8/4/16
On 8/4/16 9:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 08/04/2016 08:54 PM, Dan Stillman wrote:
>> You can install other language packs into the unbranded build,
>> supposedly. But still pretty useless if it doesn't auto-update.
>
> Can't download the next unbranded version and install it in place of
> the current if it doesn't?

You can, of course, but that's an absurd requirement, particularly for
something that exists in large part to allow developers to develop their
add-ons against the current version of Firefox. It's a huge waste of
people's time, and people are also going to forget and end up releasing
broken software when new versions of Firefox come out. (This isn't
hypothetical — I've done this in the past when I had auto-updates off
and thought I had been testing against the latest beta.)

But as I say in the other thread [1], I'm hoping this is just a
misunderstanding and the Add-ons team will communicate to Release
Engineering that these builds need to auto-update.

[1]
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mozilla.addons.user-experience/FlYaMEpxBAY/discussion

shado...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2016, 2:19:41 PM8/12/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Please re-add the value, this is terrible. I get promoting security for casual users, but people have to accept a disclaimer to access these features, you could have implemented a tool tip of some kind so that the user could make an informed decision on the value.

Instead, all of my tinkering and beta versions by authors or fixes from others I cannot use, it's bananas that I would even need to install another version of the browser.

Emiliano Heyns

Aug 12, 2016, 2:47:29 PM8/12/16
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 8:19:41 PM UTC+2, shado...@gmail.com wrote:
> Please re-add the value, this is terrible. I get promoting security for casual users, but people have to accept a disclaimer to access these features, you could have implemented a tool tip of some kind so that the user could make an informed decision on the value.
>
> Instead, all of my tinkering and beta versions by authors or fixes from others I cannot use, it's bananas that I would even need to install another version of the browser.

Not that I like how it's been done, but in their defense: most people blindly click "accept" on such disclaimers, so having a disclaimer+go situation is functionally equivalent to a just-go scenario. If people made informed decisions routinely, malware wouldn't be half as successful as it is.

I now just always sign tinkering/beta versions using the API. That results in a growing number of "versions" on AMO that will never see any use, but that's not my problem (and I'll be happy to delete throwaway versions should the API be extended to allow me to list older versions and delete them -- if it's more than a day old, I don't need it on AMO)

henrique...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2016, 5:01:01 AM8/15/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Only posting to agree with trainman261. I would have expected other browsers to try to force things like that down my throat, but not Firefox. I would completely understand to disallow unsigned addons by default, while providing one "not suggested and hidden from common user" way to override it. Now we can't have "possibly dangerous" configuration even on about:config, that was the sanctuary to "people that know what they are doing" to mess with this kind of thing.

I use an addon that I inspected the code to check if it wasn't malicious. I know it isn't. I'm not the addon author. Now I will have to learn how to sign, and sign an addon isn't even mine and I don't know if I have permission sign? What a waste of time.

Can't Mozilla reconsider its decision? I will not say that I will stop using Firefox because of this, because it will remain being the best option for me, but the gap between other options will begin to shrink if this kind of thing keep happening. This also weakens my motivation to contribute; what is a big downer as there isn't other open source browsers on firefox level around.

Emiliano Heyns

Aug 15, 2016, 5:20:09 AM8/15/16
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 11:01:01 AM UTC+2, henrique...@gmail.com wrote:
> Only posting to agree with trainman261. I would have expected other browsers to try to force things like that down my throat, but not Firefox. I would completely understand to disallow unsigned addons by default, while providing one "not suggested and hidden from common user" way to override it. Now we can't have "possibly dangerous" configuration even on about:config, that was the sanctuary to "people that know what they are doing" to mess with this kind of thing.

The problem with this though is that extensions can easily manipulate such settings.

Another option however would just be for Mozilla to create an option during install to enable xpinstall. A re-install over an existing installation could be used to flip it on after installation. That seems to me a significant enough hurdle to overcome so the default is enforcing, a rogue extension can't flip the switch, but a user has a documented path to do so if desired.
If we can't trust the Firefox installer to put in place trusted files, the entire effort is doomed anyway.

»Q«

Aug 15, 2016, 11:04:03 AM8/15/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
In
Emiliano Heyns <emilian...@iris-advies.com> wrote:

> Another option however would just be for Mozilla to create an option
> during install to enable xpinstall. A re-install over an existing
> installation could be used to flip it on after installation. That
> seems to me a significant enough hurdle to overcome so the default is
> enforcing, a rogue extension can't flip the switch, but a user has a
> documented path to do so if desired. If we can't trust the Firefox
> installer to put in place trusted files, the entire effort is doomed
> anyway.

There's no UI for it, but Brinkman at Ghacks has already documented a
way for a privileged user to disable enforcement,
<http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/14/override-firefox-add-on-signing-requirement/>.

Emiliano Heyns

Aug 15, 2016, 4:57:08 PM8/15/16
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 5:04:03 PM UTC+2, »Q« wrote:

> There's no UI for it, but Brinkman at Ghacks has already documented a
> way for a privileged user to disable enforcement,
> <http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/14/override-firefox-add-on-signing-requirement/>.

That's awesome. Someone should package that as an unlisted extension. Extensions can find the installation dir, and the elevate-and-copy-a-file cannot be hard to do for the three major platforms.

»Q«

Aug 15, 2016, 5:19:50 PM8/15/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
In
If such an extension is written, it should be careful not to clobber
those files if they pre-exist.

filimo...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 6:34:56 AM8/22/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Mozilla, it is not up to you to decide which already installed unsigned add-ons you can disable in FF 48: The user alredy trusts the developer. It is the user's matter only. There are add-ons used in everyday job. You broke my tools, my job processes. Why (and how) to use FF now to complete my job?!

rob...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2016, 10:57:05 AM8/23/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org

rob...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2016, 10:57:29 AM8/23/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Arrogant and stupid. - Can't see Epson and Logitech (to mention just two affected) agreeing to jump through Mozilla's hoops. - They find it hard enough to keep up with Microsoft even if they can be bothered.

Another nail in the coffin.

Brian Nakamoto

Aug 23, 2016, 6:42:02 PM8/23/16
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 3:34:56 AM UTC-7, filimo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Why (and how) to use FF now to complete my job?!

A solution is to use the unbranded build of Firefox – https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing#Unbranded_Builds

-Brian

Brian Nakamoto

Aug 23, 2016, 6:49:16 PM8/23/16
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 7:57:29 AM UTC-7, rob...@gmail.com wrote:
> Arrogant and stupid. - Can't see Epson and Logitech (to mention just two affected) agreeing to jump through Mozilla's hoops. - They find it hard enough to keep up with Microsoft even if they can be bothered.

Have you tried contacting Epson and Logitech to ask them when or if they'll support Firefox 48 and newer? (It's relatively easy to get an extension signed by AMO.) IMHO, it's the responsibility of developers to maintain compatibility with their customers' platforms if they desire to keep their customers happy.

-Brian
Message has been deleted

kgar...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2016, 3:35:08 PM8/24/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
I have an addon that I really like that is not being supported anymore. I have tried contacting them about this, but have gotten zero response. So, to keep using my beloved addon I am now stuck never upgrading from Firefox 47 (my current choice) or switching to Safari which still supports it, but for which versions of other addons I like are not available.

I understand the rationale for this, but the failure to allow for the situation I describe above is just plain annoying beyond belief. It has generated several hours of frustrated searching, writing for help, attempting to get the addon signed by myself, and other stress inducing behaviors. Firefox is supposed to be making my browsing experience less stressful. They are roundly failing at that now.

Kurt

Brian Nakamoto

Aug 24, 2016, 6:14:10 PM8/24/16
On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 12:35:08 PM UTC-7, kgar...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have an addon that I really like that is not being supported anymore. I have tried contacting them about this, but have gotten zero response. So, to keep using my beloved addon I am now stuck never upgrading from Firefox 47 (my current choice) or switching to Safari which still supports it, but for which versions of other addons I like are not available.

If you want to stick with "Firefox" you can switch to the unbranded version that should still support the abandoned, unsigned extension.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing#Unbranded_Builds

-Brian

Jorge Villalobos

Aug 24, 2016, 7:12:56 PM8/24/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
If you think it's abandoned, you can submit it as unlisted (ideally with
a different ID) so at least the file is signed and you can continue
using it.

Jorge

chsn...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 7:29:40 AM8/25/16
On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 15:52:07 UTC+1, trainman261 wrote:
> While browsing the Gizmo's Freeware forum this morning, I read about Firefox 48... and that you can't install unsigned add-ons anymore, WITH NO WAY TO BYPASS IT. What? Has Mozilla gone completely bonkers? Mozilla, that keeps on talking about open systems, the open web, has now closed their web browser. This is insanely stupid at best. This is one of the main reasons I was using firefox. It's my system, I should have control over what can be on it, not some organization. There's a reason I don't use Apple devices, and there's a reason I stopped using Chrome when it stopped accepting extensions not in the Chrome Web Store. I can understand why unsigned extensions could be disabled by default, I can understand that. But the fact that there is no way to enable unsigned extensions is simply ludicrous. I use several of them and have no reason to stop using them, but at this point, I may well just stop using Firefox.
> Mozilla, I am extremely disappointed.

I have a few addons that are distributed internally and for internal use within my company. My addons contain information I do not want to be shared externally which happens when signing. These addons are now useless.

chsn...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 7:29:51 AM8/25/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
I have internal addons that must not leave the network as well. Please let me know if you find a fix for this.

tsukin...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2016, 5:11:08 AM8/26/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Well, it looks like I'm downgrading to 47 and holding there until a better solution presents itself.

This is completely ridiculous. I understand protecting the casual user, but let's be realistic: most of them have already installed ten different toolbars and a couponing app that eats their RAM like candy. There's only so much you can protect a machine before you may as well put it back in its box. The about:config work around was a nice compromise. Let's go back to that.

The Wanderer

Aug 26, 2016, 8:14:25 AM8/26/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org

mike5...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2016, 6:43:00 AM8/29/16
On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 12:52:07 AM UTC+10, trainman261 wrote:
> While browsing the Gizmo's Freeware forum this morning, I read about Firefox 48... and that you can't install unsigned add-ons anymore, WITH NO WAY TO BYPASS IT. What? Has Mozilla gone completely bonkers? Mozilla, that keeps on talking about open systems, the open web, has now closed their web browser. This is insanely stupid at best. This is one of the main reasons I was using firefox. It's my system, I should have control over what can be on it, not some organization. There's a reason I don't use Apple devices, and there's a reason I stopped using Chrome when it stopped accepting extensions not in the Chrome Web Store. I can understand why unsigned extensions could be disabled by default, I can understand that. But the fact that there is no way to enable unsigned extensions is simply ludicrous. I use several of them and have no reason to stop using them, but at this point, I may well just stop using Firefox.
> Mozilla, I am extremely disappointed.

There really needs to be a way to whitelist one or more specific extensions as it is not always going to be possible to get an oldish extension signed. Cards is the one I have been using up until now. NOT HAPPY!

WaltS48

Aug 29, 2016, 7:42:05 AM8/29/16
On 08/27/2016 11:52 AM, mike5...@gmail.com wrote:
> There really needs to be a way to whitelist one or more specific extensions as it is not always going to be possible to get an oldish extension signed. Cards is the one I have been using up until now. NOT HAPPY!

There is a way.

Users can use the Developer Edition, Nightly, unbranded and/or ESR versions.

Download and install a version of your choice. You can find links in the
reference.

Then follow these instructions, also in the reference;

Type about:config into the URL bar.
In the Search box type xpinstall.signatures.required
double-click the preference, or right-click and select "Toggle", to set
it to false.

REF: <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing#FAQ>

Extreme vetting - What Native Americans should have started using in 1492
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

wsha...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 8:13:04 AM8/31/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
There appears to be one alternative way to run unsigned addons in Firefox 48 that I haven't seen mentioned so far. That is to use Ubuntu and set xpinstall.signatures.required to false in about:config. For reasons I don't understand (I don't see anything in the packaging log about Ubuntu disabling signature checking intentionally), the signing requirement does not seem to be enforced on the version of Firefox distributed by Ubuntu.

kazi bappy

Aug 31, 2016, 11:43:29 AM8/31/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org

»Q«

Aug 31, 2016, 1:24:17 PM8/31/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
In
If that's the case, shouldn't they be shipping their Firefox without
the branding?

WaltS48

Sep 1, 2016, 1:01:44 AM9/1/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
They probably built it from 48.0b11, which is the unbranded version and
added the branding back in. Sneaky.

The Wanderer

Sep 1, 2016, 7:49:14 AM9/1/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org

»Q«

Sep 1, 2016, 9:43:26 AM9/1/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
In
The branding is indeed a compile-time option,
--enable-official-branding.

AUIU, Mozilla's basic position on branding is to allow distribution of
branded builds unless they include things which negatively impact users
WRT security or stability, though I'm sure I'm oversimplifying. I
don't know whether Mozilla would consider allowing unsigned extensions
to be a negative impact, but maybe so, since disallowing them was
presented as having a positive impact on users.

I couldn't find any discussion of this anywhere either, and I don't
care enough about it to try to prompt any. If anyone does want to make
sure Mozilla have thought or will think this through, I think
contacting Mike Connor and/or Gerv Markham would be a good way to
start; both of them have dealt with branding and trademark issues for
quite a while at Mozilla. (Well, a better way to start might be to
verify for oneself that Ubuntu's branded version 48 really does allow
unsigned extensions to run, heh. I haven't checked.)

wsha...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2016, 11:45:38 AM9/1/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
I noticed this because one of my users complained that the unsigned xpi wouldn't install on some system. I responded that that was normal for Firefox 48 and he responded that it worked on Ubuntu. I then tried it myself on a 16.04 system and was also able to install unsigned add-ons there. I posted here because I was curious if anyone else had noticed this or knew what was going on. Looking at the unbranded build, it looks like there is a "signing_required" entry in a json file and a MOZ_SIGNING_REQUIRED environment variable, but I don't see either used in the deb source for Ubuntu. Maybe it has something to do with Ubuntu being based on Debian which used Iceweasel in the past. Debian is switching back to Firefox though and doesn't build the non-ESR releases any way, so I'm not sure how it impacts Ubuntu.

The Wanderer

Sep 1, 2016, 12:21:08 PM9/1/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org

»Q«

Sep 1, 2016, 1:02:14 PM9/1/16
The Wanderer <wand...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> The question is whether the "require signing" feature is also a
> compile-time option, or whether it requires a different source tree.
> My understanding is that it's the former.

Your understanding is correct.

Jorge Villalobos

Sep 1, 2016, 3:36:50 PM9/1/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Yes, we do read these conversations :). I don't have a good answer about
the Ubuntu case (or other distros), but we'll look into it.

Jorge

gne...@googlemail.com

Sep 2, 2016, 5:04:43 AM9/2/16
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 3:43:26 PM UTC+2, »Q« wrote:
> (Well, a better way to start might be to
> verify for oneself that Ubuntu's branded version 48 really does allow
> unsigned extensions to run, heh. I haven't checked.)

For some reason my post as of yesterday was lost/deleted, part of it was:
> Running Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:48.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/48.0 (en-US) out-of-the-box blocks unsigned add-ons!

Axel Grude

Sep 2, 2016, 5:04:59 AM9/2/16
to addons-user...@lists.mozilla.org

Just checked it on Ubuntu 16.04 with Mozilla 48.0 canonical: out of the box, it denies
installing unsigned addons.

hth,
Axel

wsha...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2016, 11:03:19 AM9/2/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
What do you guys mean by "out of the box"? When I tested, Firefox blocked unsigned addons "out of the box", but setting xpinstall.signatures.required to false allowed them to be installed. Also, I was testing on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on a Raspberry Pi (only Ubuntu system I had access to). I don't know if that matters.

gene...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2016, 6:25:14 PM9/2/16
On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 9:52:07 AM UTC-5, trainman261 wrote:
> While browsing the Gizmo's Freeware forum this morning, I read about Firefox 48... and that you can't install unsigned add-ons anymore, WITH NO WAY TO BYPASS IT. What? Has Mozilla gone completely bonkers? Mozilla, that keeps on talking about open systems, the open web, has now closed their web browser. This is insanely stupid at best. This is one of the main reasons I was using firefox. It's my system, I should have control over what can be on it, not some organization. There's a reason I don't use Apple devices, and there's a reason I stopped using Chrome when it stopped accepting extensions not in the Chrome Web Store. I can understand why unsigned extensions could be disabled by default, I can understand that. But the fact that there is no way to enable unsigned extensions is simply ludicrous. I use several of them and have no reason to stop using them, but at this point, I may well just stop using Firefox.
> Mozilla, I am extremely disappointed.

Couldn't agree more. I detest Big Brother behavior in all its forms and do not need a Nanny, nor Mozilla acting as one, which is not unusual behavior for this "open source" closed minded operation at all. Which is why I primarily use other browsers at this point. This used to be a free world. I wish it still were.

zara...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 12:23:07 PM9/4/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
But will I have to reinstall the addons again if I install a new version of Firefox? I won't even be able to find it now that it's outdated!

lorrainem...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 12:23:39 PM9/4/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
I am in the exact same situation, and may just switch to Safari because of it. We should not be forced to use "unbranded" versions of FF in order to use legacy add-ons that were once approved and found to be safe, but are no longer supported, so cannot be signed. Why can't Mozilla "back-sign" these legacy add-ons (on request from users), instead of disabling them completely?
I am concerned that using an unbranded version of FF will cause instability; in fact, I did try using one of the Nightly builds, but the add-on in question (Cool Previews), did not function properly, so I had to go back to FF 47, and that's where I will stay, until this add-on is once again usable. If it remains unavailable, I might as well switch to Safari, since this add-on is one of the major reasons I use FF exclusively.

denni...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 12:23:58 PM9/4/16
On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 10:52:07 AM UTC-4, trainman261 wrote:
> While browsing the Gizmo's Freeware forum this morning, I read about Firefox 48... and that you can't install unsigned add-ons anymore, WITH NO WAY TO BYPASS IT. What? Has Mozilla gone completely bonkers? Mozilla, that keeps on talking about open systems, the open web, has now closed their web browser. This is insanely stupid at best. This is one of the main reasons I was using firefox. It's my system, I should have control over what can be on it, not some organization. There's a reason I don't use Apple devices, and there's a reason I stopped using Chrome when it stopped accepting extensions not in the Chrome Web Store. I can understand why unsigned extensions could be disabled by default, I can understand that. But the fact that there is no way to enable unsigned extensions is simply ludicrous. I use several of them and have no reason to stop using them, but at this point, I may well just stop using Firefox.
> Mozilla, I am extremely disappointed.

Me too. It seems it is time to let Firefox go. Sad.

Axel Grude

Sep 4, 2016, 12:24:19 PM9/4/16
to addons-user...@lists.mozilla.org
You are right, after setting the

xpinstall.signatures.required=false

I can still run unsigned addons. I thought Mozilla had removed or at least disabled
the switch.

good news,
Axel

*Axel Grude <mailto:axel....@gmail.com>*
Software Developer
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/quickfolders-tabbed-folders/>,
quickFilters <https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/quickfilters/>,
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/zombie-keys/>, SmartTemplate4
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/smarttemplate4/>)
AMO Editor
Visit my YouTube Channel <https://www.youtube.com/c/thunderbirddaily> for productivity
tips Get Thunderbird!

Jorge Villalobos

Sep 5, 2016, 10:41:59 AM9/5/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
If the add-on is listed on addons.mozilla.org, then it was signed. If
you're referring to a legacy add-on that you got from somewhere else,
you have a workaround. You can upload it yourself for signing (as
unlisted), ideally with a different ID.

Jorge

Brian Nakamoto

Sep 5, 2016, 5:53:51 PM9/5/16
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 3:25:14 PM UTC-7, gene...@gmail.com wrote:
I detest Big Brother behavior in all its forms and do not need a Nanny, nor Mozilla acting as one, which is not unusual behavior for this "open source" closed minded operation at all. Which is why I primarily use other browsers at this point.

Which other browsers do you use?

-Brian

Emiliano Heyns

Sep 6, 2016, 5:15:41 PM9/6/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
I know this question was directed at gene...@gmail.com, but for me, Chrome has become my day-to-day browser, and Vivaldi my tinkering browser. I use Firefox only for two things: a company website that for some reason only works in Firefox and IE9, and Zotero. And I wouldn't personally put any money on Zotero surviving the move to e10s.

WaltS48

Sep 6, 2016, 9:13:10 PM9/6/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
So everybody has switched to browsers that were just as restrictive
before Firefox?

How many of the unsigned Firefox extensions are you using in them?

Emiliano Heyns

Sep 7, 2016, 1:55:37 AM9/7/16
to mozilla.addons....@googlegroups.com, mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Even if the answer to that were "yes", which it isn't if you were paying
attention, the takeaway from that would still be "apparently this is what
differentiated Firefox, and without this differentiation, it's not
competitive".

If you look at the people who say they have extensions that cannot leave
their network, these people can use any browser except Firefox. Sure, it's
a pain in the ass to run unpacked extension in Chrome or opera, but at
least it's a possibility. And if the answer to that is "use ESR", which is
what I've switched to, you're acknowledging that there's a legitimate
use-case that is apparently safe enough to use. It's also the only way to
run selenium, which is a crucial tool in my dev work flow,and the selenium
team is hosed since signing got enforced.

Personally, I have no beef with extension signing since the api
materialized, but my work is public anyway. AMO is dead to me and has been
for a long time because of the unpredictable lead times. And later when xul
and xpcom go, there will no longer be any reason to work on Firefox
extensions afaic.

So are people switching to what you call more restrictive browsers? If the
answer to that is "no" because these browsers are in significant ways less
restrictive, that should give you pause. But if the answer is "yes", that
should also give you pause. Because it would mean that switchers see a
value in these browsers you are not seeing.

v.nar...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2016, 2:10:59 AM9/25/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wednesday, 3 August 2016 15:52:07 UTC+1, trainman261 wrote:

> While browsing the Gizmo's Freeware forum this morning, I read about Firefox
>48... and that you can't install unsigned add-ons anymore, WITH NO WAY TO
>BYPASS IT. What? Has Mozilla gone completely bonkers? Mozilla, that keeps on
>talking about open systems, the open web, has now closed their web browser.

Agreed. I use Mozilla to access a legacy VPN. It uses an addon
that will never get signed, so Mozilla is making it impossible for me to
upgrade beyond FF47.

--
V.

WaltS48

Sep 25, 2016, 9:07:25 AM9/25/16
to mozilla-addons-...@lists.mozilla.org
Really? You can't use the unbranded, developer edition or nightly and
set xpinstall.signature.required to false? I believe the ESR version is
also usable.

REF: <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing#FAQ>

There are solutions. Use one.

Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS