Release update

Gregory Brail

Mar 14, 2018, 7:10:47 PM3/14/18
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
We pushed out release 1.7.8 not long ago:

Since then, the community found one pretty bad bug that I had introduced:

https://github.com/mozilla/rhino/issues/390

and fixed a few more that are affecting people.

I'm thinking of pushing a new one, which I think we should probably call 1.7.8.1, soon, possibly even this week.

If anyone else has anything they'd like to see fixed urgently, let us know or better yet give us a pull request.

Thanks!

Raimund Jacob-Blödorn

Mar 15, 2018, 3:11:33 AM3/15/18
to mozilla-rhino
Hey Greg!

We (luckily) found no issues with 1.7.8 in production. Just go ahead with the release.

I'd vote for calling it 1.7.9 since changing  the length of the version identifier is odd for someone looking from the outside.

But hey, you are the maintainer. I'm just throwing your jar into my application :)

Thanks,
   Raimund

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 12:10:47 AM UTC+1, Gregory Brail wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking of pushing a new one, which I think we should probably call 1.7.8.1, soon, possibly even this week.
[...]

Gregory Brail

Mar 15, 2018, 12:45:04 PM3/15/18
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Yeah -- once upon a time Rhino versions tracked JavaScript language versions. We stopped that a while back.

My fear is that the closer we creep, we'll eventually have to release a "1.8" or even a "2.0" and it's not at all clear to me what exciting new things we can put in such an exciting release number unless some developers come out of the woodwork with lots of time to spend on Rhino!

Raimund Jacob-Blödorn

Mar 16, 2018, 3:21:29 AM3/16/18
to mozilla-rhino
Well, I feel your pain. But changing the identifier length every 2 weeks isn't any better, IMHO.

I'd still vote for 1.7.9: It contains an important Bugfix and a new optional feature (that .0 thing) and that would suffice for a new version number, I think :)

But again, I'm just throwing your jar in my app...

   Raimund
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mozilla-rhin...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Bar-sinai

Mar 18, 2018, 6:48:31 PM3/18/18
to mozilla-rhino
I agree. Plus, it's OK to have version numbers like 1.7.12. Scala is currently at 2.12.4, so we're in a good company.