Contribution guidelines

Attila Szegedi

Mar 8, 2018, 10:16:24 AM3/8/18
to mozilla-rhino
Hi folks,

I'm planning to make some contributions to Rhino again after a quite long hiatus (I'd primarily like to undertake Michael Bar-Sinai's recent request for making continuations have value semantics for equals/hashCode), so just wanted to be clear on contributions policy before I do so. I'm a member of the Mozilla org at GitHub and have commit rights to the mozilla/rhino repository, so I could just be committing straight to the master, but I don't want to do it without consulting here as I'm aware I've been away for a while.

With that in mind, what is the policy? Is it okay to commit smaller changes directly to master? (E.g. at first Gradle build it spit out a Javadoc warning that was a one-liner to fix.) What about larger work? Do it as a separate branch in mozilla/rhino repo and create a PR once it's done, or do it as a separate branch in my own fork (and then PR)?

Let me know,
  Attila.

Gregory Brail

Mar 8, 2018, 12:00:24 PM3/8/18
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Hi Attila -- it'd be great for you to be contributing again!

Although you CAN commit to the Rhino repo, I'd really prefer if you'd create a PR so that at least one other person can review it and so that the Travis CI tests can run on it and make sure that we haven't broken anything. I've broken this rule a few times recently for "really small things" like changes in build files and once or twice I ended up having to revert my change because it wasn't sufficiently tested. So PRs are a good thing and so is getting at least one other person to look at the code -- GitHub makes it easy to request a review for a PR, and if no one else looks I try to make sure that I look at all the PRs within a day or two and either ask questions about them or merge them.

(Which reminds me I have one to get to in the next day or two.)

Thanks and it'll be great to have you doing things to move Rhino forward again!

Attila Szegedi

Mar 8, 2018, 12:50:41 PM3/8/18
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Is it okay to create changes as branches in mozilla/rhino repo and submit PRs from them, and then have those branches deleted when the PRs are merged? GitHub UI offers a “delete branch” operation immediately upon merging, so that workflow is quite convenient and doesn’t leave any litter behind. That’s pretty much the workflow we use at my current job; I think it makes a lot of sense when the contributor is also a committer.

The less favored alternative on my part would be for me to submit PRs from a forked repo; that'd come with a bit more administration on my part as I'd need to sync between mozilla/rhino and my fork but I can work with that too.

Attila.

Gregory Brail