Easier Home Dash Menu Access

Edward Lee

Apr 1, 2011, 12:57:40 PM4/1/11
to Mozilla Labs Group
Thanks for the continued feedback and quick responses to questions
about the new Home Dash menu. There's a new update with various fixes
to address concerns raised from this list and on GitHub:
https://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/04/01/easier-home-dash-menu-access

Please leave feedback on that post in this thread.

Ed

Pierre

Apr 1, 2011, 3:33:46 PM4/1/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for taking our opinion into account, Edward, and for iterating so quickly ! The new behavior is perfect for me.

Pierre

Apr 1, 2011, 3:44:30 PM4/1/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Oh, just a suggestion, though : I don't really see the need for two distinct buttons "Enter full screen" / "Exit full screen" as, by definition, you can't use both at the same time. Why not replacing it with a unique button that switches from "Enter" to "Exit", depending on the current state ? Just as the Firefox UI team did for the stop/reload icon for FF4. (same suggestion for the "stop" & "reload" buttons within the new Home Dash menu, btw).
Suggesting it because, one of the way I perceive Home Dash is as a way to dramatically eliminate visual clutter in the UI... . Just sayin', anyway, I guess you're probably not in the polishing phase yet ;-)

HbbS

Apr 2, 2011, 2:38:11 AM4/2/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for hearing us.

This is much better. Actually, to be honest, you match to exceed my expectations.

Mozilla Dash is getting near to a point, where it has to be tested, with an even larger audience.

I believe this project is going to be an (built-in) UI alternative on Firefox by this year's end. (firefox 7 ?)

Kudos!

Nobody

Apr 2, 2011, 4:16:54 AM4/2/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
The new changes are really precise and cool and responding to all of the suggestions positively was awesome... This version of home dash has reduced my need to disable home dash frequently for utilising other parts of fx4. Great work

Here are some parts still missing in home dash(HD).. Some I can think of right now are:
1) Button for getting to settings of firefox ( as a student i have to switch between proxies frequently to get my work done which i can't in present version of HD)
2) Missing buttons for other addons (wanna use mozilla f1 and wot/flagfox along with HD)
    some sort of transparent addon bar at the bottom or as a sidebar would be cool to work with and future integration with other addons will be easier
3) I would like to know where will i end up before clicking any link something like fx4 has right now.. link displayed at the bottom of the screen..
4) Rearranging the buttons based on the usage statistics of the user (most common ones near the firefox button... may become a little messy though... just a thought.
5) Recently closed tabs as pointed by some other user...

Nobody

Apr 2, 2011, 4:20:13 AM4/2/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Home Dash development will bring back users lost to google chrome... if the current pace keeps up..

Patrick O'Leary

Apr 12, 2011, 7:13:10 PM4/12/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
At some point in the past several nightlies (I haven't bisected, but before the version bump) Home Dash has stopped working completely. The UI doesn't even appear to try to load. This message appears on the Error Console when the addon is enabled:

Warning: WARN addons.manager: Exception calling callback: TypeError: Utils.createStatement is not a function
Source File: resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/patrick/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/firefox/Profiles/1xbxdwn2.default/extensions/home...@prospector.labs.mozilla.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> jar:file:///C:/Users/patrick/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/firefox/Profiles/1xbxdwn2.default/extensions/home...@prospector.labs.mozilla.xpi!/scripts/crunch.js
Line: 100

Madmax

Apr 27, 2011, 10:18:33 PM4/27/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I would like to know if there was any way to go about changing the 9 buttons that are based on user frequency.