How can Mozilla regain its Mojo?

Old Ghosts

Apr 11, 2012, 3:28:59 AM4/11/12
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Simple, give people what they want.

An alternative to Facebook that puts the user in control of advertising and privacy.

It's possible to export FB data, why not build a network to import it.

But of paramount importance every effort must be made to put give privacy back to the user.

Enable the user to view "all feeds" not ones selected ie: "top stories", people join social networks so they can see their FULL news feed not so that they can be spoon-fed selected items.

Offer the user a revenue share of any adverts placed on their page, infact allow users to run adverts or *request* an advert from a company.

Only display adverts in a Right hand, Left Hand, Top or Bottom column that changes with every news feed update. If people are advertising products they personally like/endores it will be more relevant o their friends.

Do this quick, involve people in a beta, get a buzz going around it.

And don't call it something shit like Pancake, no one will "give a toss".

If you want help, talk to me.

Luke Pilling

Apr 11, 2012, 5:15:19 AM4/11/12
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Another Facebook alternative? I can see your points - better privacy control & possibly having a say in what adverts appear on your page would be good, but is this within Mozilla's remit? Google recently tried to get into the social-network market - admittedly they have had some success, but I doubt + will ever challenge Facebook really. What chance does yet another social network have...

An interesting idea (and probably one that wouldn't be that hard to implement) would be to have the option of specifying a couple of keyboard shortcuts (or mouse gestures or something) that would open Firefox with a specific URL. A few presets could be specified by the user (e.g. ctrl+shift+f could open Firefox at the facebook page), and probably have a few defaults like google and wiki. This, I would use all the time.

Pycnopodia

Apr 11, 2012, 9:45:28 AM4/11/12
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
There is already something like that, it is called Diaspora and it already has too many members for mozilla to break it down. However the two groups could work together in some manner but the truth is that mozilla will probably have to go beyond facebook and other social networks not just add to the ever growing number of social networks. Facebook is not the end all be all of socializing on the internet and copying them won't get you anywhere.

Dmitry Sokolov

Apr 28, 2014, 8:44:17 AM4/28/14
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi Old,

I would appreciate your help in developing Internet of Sense:
http://confocal-manawatu.pbworks.com/w/page/66481478/Internet%20of%20Sense
based on building virtual associative networks:
http://confocal-manawatu.pbworks.com/w/page/67722926/Integrated%20Virtual%20Associative%20Network

Cheers,
Dimitri