Grunt, Gulp, or something else?

Erik Vold

Mar 18, 2015, 2:39:27 PM3/18/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com, Griffiths, Jeff
Hey Rocketeers!

I need your advice.

In bug 1143357 [1], I proposed using Grunt to make it easier to test the addon-sdk with JPM, and automate other tasks (parts of the uplift for example).  Someone has pointed put Gulp to me now and I was wondering if anyone has any preference? or any other suggestions?

Regards,

Erik

Gabriel Ivanica

Mar 18, 2015, 5:36:44 PM3/18/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
    Just a simple add-on developer over here... but why not to tell my opinion. I used both Grunt and Gulp for various web project + add-on development. I fist started using Grunt and then I discovered gulp.js. From my point of view gulp.js is a far more better solution because it also allows you to use npm modules and code what you need instead of just writing pure tasks... Gulp.js might also be faster because it uses node streams but I'm not sure entirely sure about that... (but it's more awesome for sure)
    So, if you think that the use of npm modules and code over configuration fits better, then gulp.js is the best solution. After all it is still the same JavaScript code and no other strange configuration rules or what so ever. Hope it helps you decide...

Gulp is better :D

Gabriel Ivanica
add-on developer

J. Ryan Stinnett

Mar 18, 2015, 5:46:28 PM3/18/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest Gulp myself, but it's hard to keep up with the JS tool
community... They'll probably come up with some other new, hip thing
once you start working on this. ;)

I don't think it matters too much what you pick though, any solution
or framework should be fine in the end.

But I would say Gulp's advantages are:

* Code instead of configuration
* Grunt's configuration can get unwieldy for complex situations
* Process each step with streams
* Grunt requires creating temporary files if you need to chain
several steps together, while Gulp offers streams which are typically
considered more natural

- Ryan

Noit Saab

Mar 18, 2015, 5:48:14 PM3/18/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
I had posted on the bugzilla topic that I thought Grunt would be cool as it was used for some FFOS projects but that was just personal. If Gulp allows use of npm modules thats a huge plus over grunt right there. So I would also go for Gulp then.