Is jpm supported in Thunderbird?

František Žiačik

Oct 14, 2015, 4:17:02 PM10/14/15
to mozilla-labs-jetpack
As the subject says. Is jpm supported in Thunderbird? Is there any documentation for that? Couldn't find any.

Adrian Aichner

Oct 15, 2015, 9:10:38 AM10/15/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi František,

I am experimenting with this a bit myself using jpm 1.0.1[1] and I can confirm this works in Earlybird 39.0a2 (2015-04-24) on Ubuntu (as well as in Firefox).

The bigger issue is that the high-level add-on SDK model concept of add-on scripts and content-scripts does not apply to thunderbird because it is still a XUL application.

You basically have to wedge in via require('chrome') to get access to its interfaces.

See also
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Tech/XUL/Tutorial/Adding_HTML_Elements
which I have succeeded in using to add a combination of HTML and XUL nodes to existing thunderbird windows.

I only experiment with this to possibly get some functionality into thunderbird I plan to add to Firefox as a add-on.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 10:17:02 PM UTC+2, František Žiačik wrote:
As the subject says. Is jpm supported in Thunderbird? Is there any documentation for that? Couldn't find any.

[1] will have to use jpm 1.0.2 now that Firefox Nightly can no longer run xpi built by earlier versions