Firefox extension installation icon

Panagiota Mitsopoulou

Apr 29, 2015, 5:49:31 PM4/29/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I want to use a custom icon during installation of firefox extension. Just to note that the icon is shown AFTER the extension is being installed. The question is, how to show the icon in the "Software Installation" dialogue.

Based on https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Install_Manifests I added following code in the install.rdf file:

<em:iconURL>chrome://myext/skin/icon.png</em:iconURL>

There's also a note about adding a skin package line to the chrome.manifest file or alternatively placing the icon in the directory specified in the content package line. I tried both but with no success. If I understand it correctly, do I need to add following in chrome.manifest?

skin myext chrome/skin/

chrome/skin is the location under root, where I have the icon. Here https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Chrome_Registration#skin they specify also a skin name, but I didn't specify one. Should I?

I also tried many other stuff I found around but nothing worked. In some forums they even mention that it's not possible, because the chrome URL to the icon cannot be resolved until after your extension is installed. Is there any solution?

Thanks,

Panagiota