How to search in MDN docs SDK only? (in stead of MDN globally)

Ruben Goethals

Dec 20, 2014, 8:28:59 PM12/20/14
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

I'm a fresh firefox add-on developer.  O my, did my head hurt in the learning curve!  But I think I'm getting there. But there is something that would made the curve quite less steap and I just want to share this to the community:

Having trouble searching the SDK docs ónly, with any keyword?  I presume so, since the current MDN doesn't seem to allow to select SDK in its checkboxes offered after first search. As a matter of fact, when globally searching it doesn't search in the SDK Docs at all! I have confirmed this for several existing functions with the exact keyword of the function.

So, here is what i do: Search in google with the "site:" operator.  E.g. when searching how to identify your widget, enter this in google (litterally):

identify site://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK
equal link: https://www.google.com/search?q=identify+site://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK

Maybe someone can add this tip into the MDN guides (starting guide?) untill MDN resolves it?

I hope this helps some people! ;-)

Cheers,
e-motiv.net

Adrian Aichner

Dec 20, 2014, 8:45:00 PM12/20/14
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
I'll start with a quote from friendly #couchdb:
And always remember that 'guys' is not a synonym for 'everyone'..

To the right of the Results list on MDN there are checkboxes for Topics, Document type, and Skill level.

This adds a query parameter to limit your searches, e.g.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/search?q=content&topic=addons

HTH,
Adrian

Ruben Goethals

Dec 21, 2014, 1:47:50 PM12/21/14
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
'Guys' is everyone for me.  There is already too much specificity in the world. No thanks.   (Though now I'm thinking to exclude nitpickers from now on. :-p )
(Unless you can find me a word that means everyone and sounds nice and includes friendly too.)

On topic:
As I said in my initial post the search limiting in MDN does not work.  Did I try the wrong combinations?  Can you show an example that gives (almost) only search result within SDK?

Adrian Aichner

Dec 21, 2014, 2:20:05 PM12/21/14
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
There's also tags, but very little is tagged for "Add-on%20SDK":

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/tag/Add-on%20SDK

Gives me only these:

So I agree that search tools at MDN seem insufficient for what you try to do.

Ruben Goethals

Dec 21, 2014, 5:30:11 PM12/21/14
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.
If you know people around SDK, it would help other poor sods like me if you could tell them or get my proposition in the starting guide.  Or anyone else, as I said before.

William Bamberg

Dec 21, 2014, 6:31:33 PM12/21/14
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion Adrian! I just tagged all the tutorials, high-level APIs, and tools reference: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/tag/Add-on%20SDK.

Got to stop now for the time being, but anyone who's looking for a mindless way to improve the SDK docs on MDN is very welcome to continue tagging the "low-level APIs": https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK/Low-Level_APIs.

FWIW I don't really understand how tagging gets integrated with search in MDN.

Will

Jeff Griffiths

Dec 21, 2014, 10:55:25 PM12/21/14
On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Ruben Goethals <0ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Unless you can find me a word that means everyone and sounds nice and
> includes friendly too.)

Folks. Y'all. Everyone. Rocketeers ( this is a project tradition of
sorts ). People. My friends. Comrades!

'People' in particular is good because it inherently does not include
any humans ( unless you self-identify as non- or post-human - let's
cross that bridge when we get there ).

So, I think Adrian has a valid point and communicated in a pretty
polite, straightforward way. As well, this list is about Mozilla
technology and is governed by the Mozilla code of conduct and in
particularly it's diversity statement:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Code_of_Conduct/Draft#Mozilla_Diversity_Statement

It may feel like a minor issue, but it came up. I would prefer you not
use 'guys' to address this list.

Jeff