[Beginner] Where should I start?

Sandun Wanniarachchi

Jul 29, 2015, 12:46:46 PM7/29/15
to mozilla-labs-jetpack
Hey folks,
            I am a web developer with almost one year experience and capable of dealing with html,css,js,php etc. Recently I'm interested in developing add-ons for firefox. But I can't figure out where should I start. :/ Any help with my case will be highly appreciated! :)
Thanks.

Sandun Wanniarachchi

Julien Wajsberg

Jul 31, 2015, 4:19:43 AM7/31/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sandun,

did you have look at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK yet ?

David Bruant

Jul 31, 2015, 5:59:45 AM7/31/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sandun,

I guess a good place to start is to redo the simple addon at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK/Tutorials/Getting_started

This will get you started with the tooling and the Jetpack-specific APIs.
(and as I'm writing that, I realize it mentions cfx and might probably be corrected to encourage people to use jpm, but that's a different topic)

What are you trying to build?

David

Sandun Wanniarachchi

Jul 31, 2015, 10:03:25 AM7/31/15
to mozilla-labs-jetpack, fel...@gmail.com
Hi Julien,
yeah! of course, I already tried installing SDK. But I couldn't initialize an add-on (cfx init). It says "bash: cfx: command not found".
Then I found that JPM replaces CFX. I tried "jpm init". But terminal keep saying "command not found". Do I need to have nodejs installed in my system?
I'm using manjaro linux BTW(based on arch linux).

Thanks for the attention. :D

On 29 July 2015 at 18:46, Sandun Wanniarachchi <waksc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey folks,
            I am a web developer with almost one year experience and capable of dealing with html,css,js,php etc. Recently I'm interested in developing add-ons for firefox. But I can't figure out where should I start. :/ Any help with my case will be highly appreciated! :)
Thanks.

Sandun Wanniarachchi

Sandun Wanniarachchi

Jul 31, 2015, 10:18:35 AM7/31/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com, brua...@gmail.com
Hello,
you're the writer, then you have the answer. I followed the installation guide and activated the SDK. But there was no command like "cfx" nor "jpm". Do I have to have nodejs installed in my system to use "jpm"? At this moment I just need to build a testting add-on (like hello world!) :D I just want to figure out the procedure from the begging to the deployment of a add-on.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Julien Wajsberg

Jul 31, 2015, 1:42:13 PM7/31/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com, David Bruant
Yes, jpm is node based.

The easiest way to install it is to run "npm install -g jpm". See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SDK/Tools/jpm (and don't forget to look at the "cfx to jpm" page if you have an existing add-on).

Mikhail Khvoinitsky

Jul 31, 2015, 1:49:00 PM7/31/15
to Sandun Wanniarachchi, mozilla-labs-jetpack, brua...@gmail.com
You can use nodejs-jpm package from AUR

William Bamberg

Jul 31, 2015, 1:56:19 PM7/31/15
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com, Sandun Wanniarachchi, brua...@gmail.com
Thanks for the reminder. I'm going through the SDK docs today, updating them to point to jpm instead of cfx.

Will

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Mikhail Khvoinitsky <mikhail...@khvoinitsky.org> wrote:
You can use nodejs-jpm package from AUR

Sandun Wanniarachchi

Aug 1, 2015, 3:00:12 PM8/1/15
to mozilla-labs-jetpack
Hello everyone,
           I figured out the way. Thanks everyone who helped!
Have a great day! :)