anyone interested in taking over the morlug domain?

Fielding, JP

Dec 6, 2010, 10:12:06 AM12/6/10
to Morlug
it expires soon.

Michael Bond

Dec 6, 2010, 10:46:37 AM12/6/10
to mor...@googlegroups.com

Is there any interest in morlug at this point?

What other software groups are there in town that might be interested in it (that might not be on this list).

When does it expire? If no one else takes it, i may, just for the sake of keeping the domain alive.

How much interest is there in morgantown for using linux these days? I still run it for all my servers, but I don't mess with it on the desktop anymore. Though, part of me always thinks I should as an escape route from apple.

Michael Bond
mb...@the-forgotten.org

On Dec 6, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Fielding, JP wrote:

> it expires soon.

JP Fielding

Dec 6, 2010, 11:22:52 AM12/6/10
to mor...@googlegroups.com
- i dont see any
- great question
- tomorrow, that'ld be great
- I -> 0, ditto

Eli Heady

Dec 6, 2010, 12:03:26 PM12/6/10
to mor...@googlegroups.com
There must be some interest, surely.

I've been meaning to ping this list to inquire about reviving interest in Linux and free software actvities in Morgantown.

Since I'm new to the group, I'll introduce myself. I've been using Linux for about 8 years, 4 of which have been spent as a *nix sysadmin in robotics and academia. I've also done a fair bit of web development using free software. I'm getting into experiments with embedded Linux and hardware hacking projects.

Would any list subscribers care to meet up? I could do a talk on use of free software in a web hosting environment, VPNs, disk encryption, home NAS or a basic getting started with Linux talk.

As far as the morlug domain, I can help by providing free DNS and/or webhosting service. Feel free to contact me offlist if that could be a useful contribution.

-Eli

> > morlug+un...@googlegroups.com<morlug%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/morlug?hl=en.
> >
> > --

> > morlug+un...@googlegroups.com<morlug%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

JP Fielding

Dec 6, 2010, 12:06:51 PM12/6/10
to mor...@googlegroups.com
if you and mike want to fight it out for the domain, then let me know.

Gregory Gay

Dec 6, 2010, 12:12:29 PM12/6/10
to mor...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Butcher
You guys might want to check with WVU's free software group about taking it over. I'm cc'ing Andrew Butcher, head (I think) of the group on this email to see if he wants to chime in.
Gregory Gay
Senior Editor, 4 Color Rebellion (http://www.4colorrebellion.com)
Mad Scientist (http://www.greggay.com)

"We're putting gps trackers in carrier pigeons to track a man who can control electricity. I have you to thank for this, don't I?"
- Fringe

JP Fielding

Feb 10, 2011, 8:59:44 AM2/10/11
to mor...@googlegroups.com
heads up, for now, im transferring morlug to my dyndns account from our work account.

Michael Bond

Feb 22, 2011, 11:17:00 AM2/22/11
to mor...@googlegroups.com

Quick tally.

Who is using linux as their desktop/laptop OS? If so, what flavor is everyone using these days.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of the distro you are using?

what software, if any, are you lacking?

These aren't pointless, lets get a discussion going for the sake of a discussion.. Depending on responses we might try something.

Joseph A. Yaworski

Feb 22, 2011, 12:05:06 PM2/22/11
to mor...@googlegroups.com
I use Linux exclusively.

My current flavor of Linux is ArchLinux. It's a bleeding-edge rolling-release distro, ideal for developers that want on-the-edge software.

Its strengths are that it is entirely customizable; a base install doesn't even include xorg. So you need to go in and edit /etc/inittab et al, and install the DE that you want. I think that's awesome, but others might disagree.

Its weaknesses are its strengths, really. I've been having connectivity issues with my laptop with Archlinux on it, and I believe it's from a config file somewhere. Quite literally, it is as minimalist as possible in default configurations.

What software am I lacking? Well, other than not being able to run Steam, not much. Linux gaming has evolved to a point where native apps or Windows+WINE is quite good for my needs.

On 02/22/2011 11:41 AM, Steve Dew wrote:
I flip back to Windows XP for gaming, but for anything else I have Ubuntu LTS on my other partition.  I was using it for everything, but my game quit working in Wine recently & haven't been had the time to dig into it very far to figure out why.

Another issue I haven't had time to adequately troubleshoot (yay parenthood!) is I have been unable to get my Samba share back online on my Ubuntu server since rebuilding it.  Before the rebuild, my only problem was my wife's Vista machine couldn't write to the share, in spite of the permissions I gave it.  Anybody else have trouble with that lousy Windows build (concerning Samba shares, that is)?

Eric F. Sorton

Feb 22, 2011, 1:09:42 PM2/22/11
to mor...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:17:00AM -0500, Michael Bond wrote:
> Who is using linux as their desktop/laptop OS? If so, what flavor is
> everyone using these days.

Linux at home on server (Debian), laptop (Ubuntu), kids netbooks (Ubuntu),
router (OpenWRT), n810 (Maemo), phone (Android), and Kindle (???). At least
that is what I'm aware ... wouldn't be surprised if some other gadget had
Linux under the hood as well.

Linux at work on desktop (Ubuntu) and multiple workstations/servers (Ubuntu).

For the record, Windows 7 at home on desktop and Windows XP at work in a VM.

> What are the strengths and weaknesses of the distro you are using?
> what software, if any, are you lacking?

Biggest weakness. Lack of a good office program. OpenOffice/LibreOffice
aren't sufficient in a technical setting. We tried at work for the past few
years. Multiple hundred page technical documents with lots of tables,
figures, etc ... lots of little annoyances and bugs. Probably going back to
MS Office for the next project.

Still need Windows for certain software packages that vendors don't provide
Linux/OSX support for (i.e. programming Castle Creations ESCs).

Pretty happy with Ubuntu for the kids. Don't have to worry about them
downloading/installing viruses, trojans, adware, etc ... They mostly do
web/flash stuff so the OS isn't really a big deal.

Wish my phone had host USB support, but that is a hardware issue as much as a
software issue. The n810 does but that has stagnated since Nokia dropped
support shortly after EOLing it. Since they didn't integrate their mods with
the mainline kernel it has really stagnated.

> These aren't pointless, lets get a discussion going for the sake of a
> discussion.. Depending on responses we might try something.

Like what?

Eric

--
Eric F. Sorton <eso...@comcast.net>