IE8 Oddness, or not, depending

Roo

Jul 21, 2014, 5:35:09 AM7/21/14
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was debugging a page that wouldn't work for IE8 users. I eventually narrowed it down to this;

$('whatever').dissolve();

wont work on IE8 if the element being dissolved is within an element that has display:none set.

I had three panels that are all set to display:none at first load. Within each panel there are a couple of elements that get dissolved for various reasons and this all worked fine on IE 6 7 9 10, FF, chrome etc.

Can anyone shed some light on why this might be.

Thanks
Rolf

Sérgio Crisóstomo

Jul 21, 2014, 6:50:08 AM7/21/14
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rolf,
tried your problem in my IE8 VM and works good for me.
Could you check this fiddle and change it to reproduce your problem?

cheers

--

---

Roo

Jul 21, 2014, 9:16:21 AM7/21/14
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
http://jsfiddle.net/Wk2BX/1/

The element you are trying to dissolve has to be within an element that is display:none. I've done some more testing and the effect only happens when the element you want to dissolve is in a form tag within the display:none element!!

I just tried this out on BrowserStakc XP and IE8 and if the form tag is there it fails with a javascript error trying to reference a this object that IE thinks doesnt exist. Without the form tag everything is fine.

Even more odd.