Cards not universal

Clint Chaplin

May 4, 2017, 10:19:23 AM5/4/17
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
I have a problem that seems to have popped up elsewhere, but turns out to be more widespread than originally indicated.

I have two Mooltipass originals, one plastic and one metal.  I am attempting to use one as the backup for the other, which means I would like my cards to successfully work in both.

However, I am not having much luck.  Cards I backup on one unit will not work on the other, even though I have copied the data file between the two units.  If I backup on one unit, the card is not recognized on the other unit "Unknown card".  I have one card that does work on both; it was the card I used to copy over the file to the other unit.

Could I have two different firmware versions on the two units?  Is what I am attempting to do impossible?

--
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin

mathieu...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 10:22:02 AM5/4/17
to Clint Chaplin, mooltipass
Hello Clint,

When you have the unknown card message on a given mooltipass, open the app, it'll invite you to select the export file associated with your card.
Keep in mind that your databased is stored on a given mooltipass memory, the card only stores your encryption key (as mentioned in our user manual)

Regards,
Mathieu

Clint Chaplin

May 4, 2017, 10:26:25 AM5/4/17
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
I have done that.  I now have the export file on the new unit.  But any card I subsequently backup on that new unit will not be recognized on the original unit.  And vice versa.
--
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin

mathieu...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 10:29:04 AM5/4/17
to Clint Chaplin, mooltipass
Oh.. it's because that backup file (for the mooltipass original only!) contains the list of known cards... so each time you clone a card on a mooltipass original, you need to make a new backup.

This is not valid for the mini.
mathieu

Clint Chaplin

May 4, 2017, 10:33:16 AM5/4/17
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
What is the maximum number of cards in the list?  I can see where this might be a problem.
--
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin

mathieu...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 10:36:44 AM5/4/17
to Clint Chaplin, mooltipass
that the mooltipass can store in its memory? something around 40 IIRC.

Clint Chaplin

May 4, 2017, 3:17:14 PM5/4/17
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
Does this mean that I could not copy a backup from the mini to the original?  Sounds like the mini does not keep track of known cards, while the original requires such a list.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 7:28 AM, mathieu...@gmail.com <mathieu...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin

mathieu...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 3:18:44 PM5/4/17
to Clint Chaplin, mooltipass
Clint,

Both devices keep track of known cards. You can copy a backup from the mini to the original.

Mathieu

Clint Chaplin

May 17, 2017, 3:20:23 PM5/17/17
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
What happens when the known card list fills up?
--
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin

mathieu...@gmail.com

May 17, 2017, 3:21:35 PM5/17/17
to Clint Chaplin, mooltipass
Hello Clint,

If you use the mini to clone your cards, this will never happen.

Mathieu

Clint Chaplin

May 17, 2017, 3:22:31 PM5/17/17
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
I guess I'll wait for my mini to be delivered.
--
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin