Mooltipass Mini Status Update : The Week of Surprises

mathieu...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2016, 7:09:41 AM9/4/16
to mooltipass
Hello Mooltipass Enthusiasts!

This week was full of unfortunate surprises... but first, we need to give you a little background about the different Mooltipass Mini prototype batches we produced.
2 months ago we launched into production our first batch of Mooltipass Mini prototypes (named mooltipass mini v2). Unfortunately, due to a mistake on our side, a non critical component (an accelerometer) was shorting the USB power supply.
We therefore had instructed our assembler to unsolder all the accelerometers and then launched another Mooltipass Mini prototype production batch with the correct accelerometer footprint (named mooltipass mini v3).
Therefore, our selected beta testers received units with (mpm v3) or without (mpm v2) accelerometers.
Which brings us to our latest news:
- a few accelerometer-free prototype units received by beta testers are experiencing USB related problems
- this leads us to think that these units were damaged before we realized our footprint error
- this theory is supported by the fact that none of the Minis having the accelerometer (mooltipass mini v3) experience USB problem
- we therefore are in the process of sending new units to these unlucky beta testers

Another surprise was that due to a mis-communication with our assembler in China, 5 beta testers received their units without aluminum cases... you can imagine our surprise (and frustration)!
Anyway, this is in our experience normal hiccups that can occur during a beta testing phase. Everything is still on track for a kickstarter campaign launch by mid/end of september.
Have a great week!
Mathieu & the dev team