An interesting news brief: apps can actually access other apps memory...

mathieu...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2014, 5:49:27 PM8/22/14
to mooltipass
Will definitely add some credibility to our animation video:

Cheers!

Stefan Giroux

Oct 13, 2014, 6:32:03 PM10/13/14
to moolt...@googlegroups.com
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms680553%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

ReadProcessMemory

If that fails, inject a dll (various methods) and read it from inside that process.

There should also be a way to get around NtProtectVirtualMemory
http://undocumented.ntinternals.net/source/usermode/undocumented%20functions/memory%20management/virtual%20memory/ntprotectvirtualmemory.html

Either way, if you're running arbitrary code on a computer then you can get at a LOT of data.

mathieu...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2014, 2:16:11 AM10/14/14
to Stefan Giroux, mooltipass
Hey Stefan,

Thanks for the link!
Wouldn't this:

hProcess [in]

A handle to the process with memory that is being read. The handle must have PROCESS_VM_READ access to the process.

be the tricky part though?

Stefan Giroux

Oct 15, 2014, 10:07:43 PM10/15/14
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
Assuming I can post via reply like a mailing list:

That's not so tricky actually. In fact, I made a Left 4 dead 2 "external" cheat that resides entirely in a separate process and only passively reads the video game's memory. It was done in C# and amounts to the following:

ReadProcessMemory(Process.GetProcesses().SelectOne().Handle, addressToReadFrom, bufferToFill, sizeof(bufferToFill), &bytesRead);

In essence, critical memory should be treated carefully and proper practices like using SecureZeroMemory and anti-debugging techniques (unloading unknown DLLs, etc) can be implemented. If I get my hands on a Mooltipass in the future of course I'll try to break it :>

Best of luck w/ your funding campaign!

mathieu...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2014, 3:50:29 AM10/16/14
to Stefan Giroux, mooltipass
Very interesting... Have you tried your technique on keypass/lastpass?

Thanks!