Cannot connect mooltipass mini on Linux Mint 18.1

Claude Fuhrer

Apr 17, 2017, 3:43:25 AM4/17/17
to mooltipass
Hi all

Since a week, I'm trying to connect my mooltipass mini (and my old mooltipass "standard") to my PC. which is running Linux Mint 18.1. Let me explain what I've done with some details:

I'm the happy owner of the ancient version of the device. For that devices I've created the rules for usb as it was explained on the web site and I had the old version of the software (Chrome app et chrome extension). With this version, I could connect and use my device and all was running like a charm. Last week I've received my mooltipass mini and, always with the old version of the software, I could export credential from the old device and import them into the mini.

My mistake was to think that it could be a good thing to remove the old software and install the new version of extension for Firefox and Chrome as well as the app (Debian version). Since I've installed this software, my mini is not recognized anymore. The app say that the mooltipass is not connected. Choosing a username and a password with the wheel still allow me to send my credential to a webpage, but the mooltipass does not recognize automatically the page I'm connected to. The app say that I should "connect my device".

If it's may help, starting the app from a terminal ("mooltiapp") shows the following:

LoginItem { openAtLogin: false,
  openAsHidden: false,
  restoreState: false,
  wasOpenedAtLogin: false,
  wasOpenedAsHidden: false }
Running in production
{"url":"chrome_app/html/index.html","debug":false}
getTrayIcon disc.png

I don't know how to make the app more "verbose" and displaying more infos.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Bert Van de Poel

Apr 17, 2017, 3:48:45 AM4/17/17
to mooltipass
If Inrecall correctly you need different udev rules based on which application you want to connect the device to. I presume the debian package you are talking about is multicute instead of the mooltipass chrome app. So checkout https://github.com/raoulh/moolticute/blob/master/README.md

Bert

gunther Vermeir

Apr 17, 2017, 5:30:12 AM4/17/17
to moolt...@googlegroups.com

I also had some issues getting to to work on Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
$  lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Release:	18.1
Codename:	serena
list of steps that worked for me:

1* do not connect mooltipass

2* add your user to udev - change "myuser" here to your username
$ gpasswd -a myuser plugdev
3* add rules to udev and reload
$ echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16d0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="09a0", TAG+="uaccess"' | sudo tee /etc/udev/rules.d/50-mooltipass.rules
$ udevadm control --reload-rules
4* log out with your Linux user and login again (or restart)

5* double check if above went good :
5.1*if your user is in plugdev, you need to see here your username instead of myuser and the plugdev group
$ groups
myuser adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare ladvd* connect mooltipass en check Dmesg if it connects nicely
5.2* double checking the udev rules are there

$ head /etc/udev/rules.d/50-mooltipass.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16d0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="09a0", TAG+="uaccess"

6* connect the mooltipass and check dmesg
$ dmesg
sample output:
[  644.585239] usb 2-7: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[  644.715320] usb 2-7: New USB device found, idVendor=16d0, idProduct=09a0
[  644.715326] usb 2-7: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[  644.715328] usb 2-7: Product: Mooltipass
7* if not done yet , install the moolitapp for Debian
https://www.themooltipass.com/setup

note: the "autostart" option of the moolitapp right click tray icon seams not to work on Linux Mint 18.1 Mate

Regards,
Gunther

Claude Fuhrer

Apr 18, 2017, 4:48:05 AM4/18/17
to mooltipass
Thank you very much, now it's rocks :)

In fact I "only" had to change the content of the rules file, all other setting where already done.

I still do not understand how to find the values and parameters to be used into this rules file. I had :

KERNEL=="hidraw*", SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16d0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="09a0", MODE="0664", GROUP="plugdev"

but I have no idea what "hidraw" means.

Thank you Gunther and Bert for your help !