Q: possible to have automated Synchronizing between Mooltipass Devices?

gunther Vermeir

May 4, 2017, 1:00:51 PM5/4/17
to mooltipass
Hello,

I wonder if it would be possible to implement some kind of "automatic"
sync between 2 mooltipass devices of the data using the google cloud.

The usage scenario is using 2 mooltipasses on different physical
locations (work/home for ex) with the same card (or clone) .
If a password is updated or login added in one location then AFAIK the
only option, besides doing the same change "manually" on the other
device, is that you would now need to make a backup of that first device
and then put it on the other.
I assume it would be possible to automate this somewhat?

The advantage of some kind of "auto sync" (or a "request to sync" popup
if the other device has changed) is that I then can leave the devices on
their physical locations, only need to take the card with me.
And have always a current backup (assuming internet acces works..)...

Regards,
Gunther

mathieu...@gmail.com

May 4, 2017, 2:09:05 PM5/4/17
to gunther Vermeir, mooltipass
Hello Gunther,

We've actually added a few things to the mini firmware to offer that feature! However, our App isn't taking advantage of these yet, as we're still wondering on how to offer that feature to the user in an intuitive manner.
The "request to sync" popup actually came to our mind, and seems to be the most logical way to go...

Mathieu

John Simpson

Jun 26, 2017, 10:53:14 AM6/26/17
to mooltipass, gunther...@gmail.com
When you do get around to working on this, please don't tie it to any specific "cloud sync" implementation, especially not Google, iCloud, or Dropbox (or any other service where your "cloud" files are readable by employees of whoever runs the service.)

There are several methods out there which synchronize directories between computers -- Dropbox is probably the most well-known example, but Google, iCloud, SpiderOak, Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync), Keybase, and several other products all perform the same function, with varying security scenarios (i.e. Dropbox, Apple, and Google employees can read your files in their respective "clouds", SpiderOak and Keybase encrypt the files before uploading so they cannot be read by their employees, and with Resilio there *is* no central server from which files could be read in the first place - just other peers.)

For all of these products, it should be possible to configure each client with an absolute filename which happens to be within a sync'ed directory, and gain the automatic "sync the file between machines" functionality. I'm doing it right now by manually exporting and importing a "memory_export.bin" file to/from my Keybase private directory. To me, the only thing which is missing is having MooltiApp automatically export the file after a change is made, or import the file if its timestamp happens to be newer than the last timestamp it was aware of. (Of course this assumes that the sync mechanism also synchronizes timestamps, and that the peers all have accurate clocks.)