Non-responsive touch-key on MP original

Julian Foad

May 21, 2017, 4:19:17 PM5/21/17
to mooltipass
tl;dr: Can a non-responsive touch-key be mended?

I purchased a purportedly "new" MP Original from a private seller (as well as a new MP Mini from the official store). On the Original, when connected to USB, it displays "Welcome [...] Touch a lit key to begin!" and at this point all six keys are lit blue and it will move to the next screen if I touch on any of the four quadrant keys or the left-hand key, but not the right-hand key. After proceeding to the next screen, which says "Touch accept to continue..." I can't make it continue any further because touches on the right-hand key do nothing. The blue light is lit but doesn't go off when I put my finger on it, unlike the left key where the light does go off when I put my finger on it.

Is this a known failure mode with some Originals? Is there any way I might be able to fix it? Or am I perhaps just doing something wrong? (I have not used one before.)

Thanks,
- Julian

mathieu...@gmail.com

May 21, 2017, 4:26:40 PM5/21/17
to Julian Foad, mooltipass
Hello Julian,

This is the first time I hear about such problem.
Is the mooltipass connected to a laptop or standard computer? Can you try different USB cables?

Regards,
Mathieu

Julian Foad

May 21, 2017, 4:36:30 PM5/21/17
to mooltipass, jul...@foad.me.uk
It is connected to a laptop. I will try a different laptop, a different USB port and a different USB cable if I can find one.

Thank you for the quick response.

- Julian

mathieu...@gmail.com

May 21, 2017, 4:39:41 PM5/21/17
to Julian Foad, mooltipass
Hello Julian,

Also try to disconnect the power supply.
In some cases, counterfeit power supplies would create problems.

Mathieu

Julian Foad

May 21, 2017, 4:51:54 PM5/21/17
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
I have now tried a different cable, different USB ports on two Lenovo laptops and one Apple laptop, the first laptop running both on battery and docked (on mains power supply), the docking station's USB ports, and the USB ports on a HP printer and a Fujitsu scanner.

Unfortunately the result was exactly the same in every combination.

- Julian

mathieu...@gmail.com

May 21, 2017, 4:54:38 PM5/21/17
to Julian Foad, mooltipass
Hello Julian,

Then I'm afraid you should maybe ask a refund from that seller :/

Mathieu

Julian Foad

May 21, 2017, 4:57:27 PM5/21/17
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
OK, I suppose I'll have to. Thank you for your help.

Looking forward to receiving the Mini which I have ordered from the official store. Maybe I'll get two of those instead :-)

Best regards,
- Julian

Julian Foad

May 21, 2017, 5:13:58 PM5/21/17
to mathieu...@gmail.com, mooltipass
For the record: the serial number of the device is MP01-0863.

- Julian